Expense Continuing Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expense Continuing Education

I have a customer that took 6 classes that earned her a certificate. She has a counseling business. She said that at least 3 of the classes could be considered continuing education for her business. I am thinking that only those three classes would be deductible as an expense not the entire 6 classes. Would that be correct?

Dany

What would disqualify the other classes/business seminars from being expensed? What were they?

D

Comment

They were all in the counseling field. The certificate was dealing with martial relationships. While I was talking to her she just said three of them would count for continuing education.

For some reason I guess I was thinking because she earned a certificate that some of the courses may not qualify unless they are continuing education. My brain is tired I think I am off on this question.

Comment

Education

Is this her business or is she an employee?

D

Comment

It is a Schedule C business.

Comment

My Two Cents

If a given course

did not qualify her for a new trade or business and EITHER

had subject matter related to her present trade or business OR met a requirement for a certification that is helpful to her business

then that course is deductible.

For a self employed individual the notion of related to her trade or business would be construed fairly loosely. For example a Plumber might get by with a course in taxes or accounting or use of Quickbooks or employee management or even stress management if the relevant skills were used in business. I believe that for an employee the course in question would have to be in some way fulfilling an ironclad requirement for keeping the present job. For example the requirement could originate from the employer directly or from some other body which the employer requires the employee to maintain certification or licensing from.
            Last edited by erchess; 03-29-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you all for answering. Really appreciate your time in posting during this busy time. Sometimes I need a double check.

Comment

Working...
              X