Corporation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporation Question

I have a client who was a co-owner in a corporation. He was the vice president. The company was not working out so he left. Several years later the other owner sued him saying he abandoned the business. They have put a lien against his house for approx 25,000. My question is if he pays off this judgment against him to clear his record can he deduct this as an investment loss? I would say no but I am not sure. Anybody else have any insight as to whether he could claim a loss for this?

Thanks!

GTS1101

That probably depends on what the judgment was for. To cover some biz expenses or just a fine for other damages.

Comment

Corporation Question

It is not to cover business expenses. It is a fine because he abandoned the business.
      Thanks for your insight.

GTS1101

Comment

You still need more information

Originally posted by GTS1101 View Post
        It is not to cover business expenses. It is a fine because he abandoned the business.
        Thanks for your insight.

GTS1101
        In a civil suit, a judgement is not a "fine", which is levied only by some government agency.

Get a copy of all the papers and ready them carefully.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

still need more info

I will do my best to see if I can get more info and take a look at the judgment myself. I am not sure if it was designated as fine or not, I was just told that there was a judgment against him for approx 25,000 because he abandoned the business and the other owner won the case.

GTS1101

Comment

Working...
          X