Recording Artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording Artist

Need help to categorize the business expenses of a recording artist.

She made and produced her own CDs and is selling them on the internet. She incurred the following expenses in 2008:

Recording sessions and studio fees $4,500
    CD manufacturing: $1,200
    Business meals: $300
    Shipping and Postage: $100
    Supplies: $150
    Advertising and marketing: $600
    Travel expenses for promotion: $350

My question is which of these expenses are considered 'cost of goods sold' and therefore may not be fully deductible in 2008.

I think at least the recording sessions and studio fees and the CD manufacturing cost have to be considered part of the cost of goods sold.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by NotEasy; 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM.

Dts

DTS (Dennis) has done a lot of research on this, so I am sure he will be posting shortly and give you all of the information that you need.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
      DTS (Dennis) has done a lot of research on this, so I am sure he will be posting shortly and give you all of the information that you need.

Sandy
      Do you happen to know Dennis's paging number?

Comment

You can

You can private email him. He is really good about answering.

Also see this link for prior thread http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/sho...ight=musicians

I believe there is more information, but I can not locate it at the moment.

Sandy
        Last edited by S T; 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Here's another thread on the subject

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

NotEasy

You can PM me and give me your contact number and we can talk tomorrow or this weekend, if you like. Not a problem for me.

This link is the best link on how to handle recording artists. I followed this for my musicians. They not only record, but perform, as well. I did allocate ALL expenses between performing (expensing) and recording (amortizing over 3 years. You'll see the % in the link). This took me a bit of time, as my people had a ton of expenses, travel, equipment purchases. This list goes on.

Anyway, take a look at this link and follow it and I think you'll be OK. Again, we can discuss, if you like.

One last bit of great news is that my fellows have been nominated for for several awards this year for their recording and performing. I gave all the kids in my neighborhood posters, CDs and other paraphanalia (sp). I'm now very popular in my 'hood!

D
            Last edited by DTS; 03-26-2009, 10:23 PM. Reason: hit the enter key!

Comment

Working...
            X