E-file problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file problem

I have a client who can't have their return efiled because they have a W-2 with no wages (box 1 is empty).

The tax program refuses to efile the tax return with this error message: "Form W-2 has been keyed with no wages. Wages need to be entered or the screen needs to be deleted".

The reason there is no wages in box 1 is that the W-2 is for 'third party sick pay' and they only put the amount in box 12a.

Has anyone else come across this problem because of W-2 no wage? Do you just tell your client to mail in the tax return? Or is there any intelligent way to work around it so the tax return can be efiled?

Just ran into a similiar situation yesterday.....

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
    I have a client who can't have their return efiled because they have a W-2 with no wages (box 1 is empty).

The tax program refuses to efile the tax return with this error message: "Form W-2 has been keyed with no wages. Wages need to be entered or the screen needs to be deleted".

The reason there is no wages in box 1 is that the W-2 is for 'third party sick pay' and they only put the amount in box 12a.

Has anyone else come across this problem because of W-2 no wage? Do you just tell your client to mail in the tax return? Or is there any intelligent way to work around it so the tax return can be efiled?
    According to the ProSeries tech support, they read off some rule that disallows W-2 to be e-file with 0 in box 1. So I entered $1 in box 1 and it was accepted. Make sure you check the "sick pay" box.

Comment

If I had you situation I would not put the W-2 in. It serves no tax purpose.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        According to the ProSeries tech support, they read off some rule that disallows W-2 to be e-file with 0 in box 1. So I entered $1 in box 1 and it was accepted. Make sure you check the "sick pay" box.
        Where did they get that rule? I efile returns with code J amount in box 12 and nothing in box 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
          Where did they get that rule? I efile returns with code J amount in box 12 and nothing in box 1.
          It's IRS reject code 0123

0123 o
          o
          o
          Form W-2 - The following fields must be significant: Name of
          Reporting Agent or Employer (SEQ 0050), Employer Address
          (SEQ 0060), Employee Name (SEQ 0090), Employee Address
          (SEQ 0100); Employee City (SEQ 0110), Employee State (SEQ 0113),
          Employee Zip Code (SEQ 0115), and Wages (SEQ 0120).
          Exception: The check for Wages (SEQ 0120) is bypassed when
          Combat Pay has been excluded from Wages.
          Exception: When a period (.) is present in the Employee State
          (SEQ 0113) on Form W-2, the checks for Employee City (SEQ 0110)
          and Employee Zip Code (SEQ 0115) are bypassed.
          So if you're efiling these you're either somehow filing what the IRS says can't be efiled, or your tax software is simply dropping the W-2 (not unlikely).

If the code J is the only thing on there it doesn't really carry anywhere on the return so omitting the W-2 works. Or like AZ-Tax said, enter $1 in box 1.

(Now if you had a code Q instead of J it would go through due to the exception.)

Comment

What I do

When I have a code J

I enter the W-2 with taxable wages of XXX and code J
            Then I enter a second W-2 with a -XXX for taxable wages and code J

Reports the W-2, registers the code J, and -0- taxable income

Sails through the efile

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              It's IRS reject code 0123

So if you're efiling these you're either somehow filing what the IRS says can't be efiled, or your tax software is simply dropping the W-2 (not unlikely).

If the code J is the only thing on there it doesn't really carry anywhere on the return so omitting the W-2 works. Or like AZ-Tax said, enter $1 in box 1.

(Now if you had a code Q instead of J it would go through due to the exception.)
              Perhaps my software is putting $1 in box 1. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Ataboy, Bob!

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                That's what I do, too.

In fact we don't even have to enter information from all documents. that for example, 1099r
                with no federal withheld. Instead of keying in all that information on the 1099r, simply enter the
                taxable amount on the line on the 1040, overriding if necessary.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Different situation

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                  I agree with Bob, the form doesn't affect the return, and if paper filed, that info wouldn't show up either, so I wouldn't even enter it.

I had one a couple with a stinkin $17 on a W-2 from Guam, and you can't e-file with a W-2 from a Guam employer entered. So, I deleted the W-2, overrode (is that a word?) 1040 line 7 with the amount that should have been there, and moved on.

Some things are just not worth it.

Edit: I agree with Harlan, too, and I am a slow typist.
                  Last edited by RitaB; 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM.
                  If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

My wife

just wondered what I was laughing at , but at the computer that's not unusual.

As for typing, keep on trying, RC, and some day you can get up to 134 words per minute.
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                    X