Amending 2005 tax return and I am curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending 2005 tax return and I am curious

what the penalty and/or interest the taxpayer would have to pay for $446 dollars of additional taxes up to May 1st 2009?

Also, I am amending another 2005 tax return and it will generate $2,000 additional refund. Does the IRS have to pay interest on this to the taxpayer and if so how much?

Interest rates on overpayments/underpayments are listed in TTB on page 15-1. The penalty for late paying of tax is listed in TTB on page 15-2.

Do the math, or let IRS do the math. Does it really matter?

Comment

I agree that it really doesn't matter. If you give the client a figure, then they will likely criticize you if the actual amount is greater.

I just tell them there will be additional penalties & interest. If they ask for an estimate, I tell them there are too many variables, including when IRS actually processes the return. If they still insist on an estimate, I give them a figure that I know will be greater than the actual, and explain that "it could be as much as $xxx, but my estimate doesn't really matter since it's the IRS's computers that determine these things". This is to insure that all surprises are pleasant ones. I also tell them to give me a copy of the notice for review when it arrives.

I still double-check the numbers when they get the notice, but I've never found any reason to question the amount billed.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
      X