RDP California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDP California

Can you claim a RDP on the california return and claim the person a dependent on the Federal return?

Ed

I don't think you can do that. The RDP would show up as a dependent on CA, as well as the partner. One word, make sure they are registered with CA SOS.

Joanmcq says this is her specialty. Maybe, she'll jump and verify for us??

D

Comment

Hmm... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to claim "married" for CA state return purposes and claim your same "partner" as a dependent on your Federal - it's two different returns that must be filed differently as they have instructed.

But yes, insight from somebody who's more experience with these types of returns would be great!

{I'd really like to be more "specialized" in these types of returns... I should look into some more reading on this.}

~Maria
      Maria R., CRTP
      Los Angeles, CA
      Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

I thought a little more about this after I posted and I'm kind of in a gray area. The 1040 needs to be undone before preparing the 540, so the dependent appearing on the 540 would not be an issue, if allowed by the Fed after all the criteria is met for claiming a dependent.

I thought I would be preparing several of these returns this year, but I have not prepared one of them, nor do I know anyone who has so I could discuss the issue with.

D

Comment

Appreciate the response, our tax program does not have that option but I think it is possible. The person is a dependent of the taxpayer, provides all his support so he is a dependent for federal purposes but since they are RDP, that state requires that a joint return be completed. Anyone got any ideas differently??

Comment

Working...
          X