Taxable foreign earned income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxable foreign earned income

My client spent from August to (present) in Jordan. He was a working student before leaving the country.
    TTB discusses foreign earned income and exclusions of income, but how do I report the income if it is taxable? I don't see the answer in TTB.
    He earned around $9000.00.
    There is no report of the income. It's his word.
    Is it reported on Sch C subj to SE tax?
    On line 21 Other Income?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Foreign Earned Income

First, you'll need to make an independent determination as to whether the income is subject to self-employment tax.

If it is, then you can report it on Schedule C.

But it probably isn't.

Was he working for a US employer while he was over there? If not, then the income probably isn't subject to SE tax.

Was he actually self-employed, i.e., was he working as a subcontractor or as an independent contractor while he was in Jordan? If not, then the income probably isn't subject to SE tax.

But I'm not sure. I haven't looked at that particular issue in a while.

Assume for the moment that it isn't subject to self-employment tax, and that your client is also not expected to pay his share of FICA (i.e., 7.65% as opposed to 15.3%).

I'm going to try to answer your question about where to report the income.

It doesn't belong on Line 21.

If he was working, but he wasn't self-employed, then it's wage or salary income. It belongs on Line 7.

How, you ask? There's no Form W-2. How in the world can you get your software to put a figure on line 7 without a Form W-2? Or do you actually have to do the return by hand? And does this mean you can't file it electronically??

All I can say is there's probably a way to do it in your software. And I don't mean using some sort of kinky override that will throw all sorts of errors or hard edits that interfere with electronic filing. I think there's a way to do it correctly.

There is at least one other situation, which is actually a little more common, that requires an entry on line 7 when the taxpayer is not issued a Form W-2.

Taxable scholarships.

If you can figure out how to enter a taxable scholarship into your program, and get that amount to properly appear on line 7, then you're half way to an answer to your original question.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

When efiling the info goes on the "FEC record" - your tax software may call it a variety of things. When it builds the efile image, it's the FEC record.

Comment

Ok thanks!

I will work on that in the morning. Thanks for helping me with this. He was working for a company and was not self employed. So, somehow I will get it on Line 7.

He is not living here, but his parents are. I think his mother has POA for him. I might do a paper return anyway, and have him sign and send it in. I'm afraid it will be confusing if I use his parent's US address and I have all that foreign income. If he stays there, I'll need the foreign address for the 2555 next year, for the exclusion, I imagine.

Thanks ever-so-much...
        ~possi
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
        X