No Filing for Several Years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with DaveO

Anything extra with initial filing will probably be ignored.

Good luck with everything.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Another way of looking at things is, there will be a different group of people looking at things to assess penalties and interest from who will be inputting the information from the returns. How many hands does it then go through? And how interested would they be to be sure all the unnecessary paperwork, from data clerk's standpoint, goes with the return, when it is just in their way when inputting the return?

Also, even though it is a big deal to the person with the problem, it's just one more piece of paper among possibly millions of pieces being handled. Until it is given to someone for further processing, I would say the odds of it being lost are enormous. And, with some of them you are dealing with a "Excuse me, you must have me confused with someone who gives a durn."

I say, as was said before, mail separately and then handle as things proceed.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

How?

Do I need to send each year seperately or send all together with a letter?--They're going to owe!

Comment

Separately

I think JohnH said it very well in a prior post. If IRS has more than one return at a time, they're going to staple two together, and say you didn't file one. (Think about walking and chewing gum at the same time for some people.)

My (stupid) nephew did this one time: Mailed his LLC and 1040 in the same envelope, and guess what? They didn't get one of them.

OK, thomtax said mail separately, too.
          Last edited by RitaB; 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
            Do I need to send each year seperately or send all together with a letter?--They're going to owe!
            You're making this much more difficult for yourself than is necessary.
            Plus you may confuse your clients if you discuss the "why's and what if's" with them too much.

1) File each year in its own envelope.
            2) Include payment for the tax due for each year.
            (If the client can't pay, just send the returns in with no payment).
            3) Send each one via Certified Mail with Return Receipt. (About $6 postage per envelope)
            4) Mark each return receipt with info identifying which year it relates to.
            5) Label the return receipts with your address so they come back to you.
            6) Wait for the IRS assessment letters, which will take 2-5 months to arrive.
            7) Deal with the penalties & interest after all assessment letters have come in.
            8) Remember to do the same with the state returns by going back to step 1.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
              Don't know how much these people are going to owe but I'd save the talking until you get to the point when someone is listening. Just file the returns for now. Once you know how much penalty is accessed you might be able to get some abated especially if they can pay the tax quickly.
              They are due a refund or 2004 which is to be applied to 2005 estimated, I will work on 2005 next, is it to late for the 2004 to apply?

Comment

yes, and 2005 will close april 15th.

Comment

i've always been told that you mail each return in seperate envelopes. and to add to remarks about 2004 , i believe you are taking a chance on that year with a refund to apply to 2005. again i was told from the beginning IRS does not issue refunds on closed years , they'll take a payment but no refunds.
                  just my two cents

Comment

Working...
                  X