Sect 179 MFJ vs. MFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sect 179 MFJ vs. MFS

Is the Sect 179 max amt cut in ½ for MFS opposed to MFJ? If so where in TTB is that located for I searched high and low for it.

Just a question

If client has a sched C and you set it up for a 179, how would you split the sch C expenses by filing MFS vs. MFJ? Unless both are 50% involved. Then I guess I'd split the purchased item and put half on each sch C.
    Larry

Comment

Spouse is not involved and....

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
      If client has a sched C and you set it up for a 179, how would you split the sch C expenses by filing MFS vs. MFJ? Unless both are 50% involved. Then I guess I'd split the purchased item and put half on each sch C.
      Larry

I am amending an 07 that was orginally filed as MFS. The taxpayer is legally licensed and the only one involved in the Sch C business. Upon amending I wanted to see the benefits of filing MFJ and I noticed the line 5 of form 4562 increased to $125K. When I switch back to MFS, line 5 of form 4562 decreased to $62,500. One of the reasons I am amending is the taxpayer has a $60,000 Hummer placed in service 1/1/07 (over 6K lbs except from sect 280F) that would like to sect 179 the entire $60K and this looks to be allowed on a MFJ return but not for a MFS. Hence the reason I was asking if the max sect 179 is 1/2ed for MFS?

Comment

Figured it out....its the Depr Options pg within the software

I was able to adjust the % in the Depr Options pg. Problem resolved.

Comment

Working...
        X