Professional expenses for charity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional expenses for charity?

New client is a retired Doctor. He volunteers in that capacity at the VA Hospital. To do so he has to maintain licenses etc. Deductible aa a charity contribution?

Thanks.

Why not

If he buys a new stethescope or if he buys a new lab coat (assuming the VA makes him have one and does not provide one) it would be deductible. I would be caught deducting the costs both of actual licensing and if separate the costs of his continuing education. If he doesn't claim his medical expenses on Sch A then I would ask him if he has any medical tests or vaccinations that he would not have if he quit practicing even as a volunteer.

Comment

I agree with erchess

and wouldn't think twice on deducting his out of pocket expenses for charity help. Plus I maybe would council him on perhaps getting some small gratuitous amount from the charity so he could start expensing on a sched C?? Just a thought.
      Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
        and wouldn't think twice on deducting his out of pocket expenses for charity help. Plus I maybe would council him on perhaps getting some small gratuitous amount from the charity so he could start expensing on a sched C?? Just a thought.
        Larry
        Since there is no profit motive that would be considered fraud.

Comment

out-of-pocket expenses for volunteer work are deductible. His upkeep of his license, if otherwise deductible, can be taken. Some license fees are not deductible. Of course his hours are not deductible. taxea
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X