Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFS - Now wants to change

Good Morning,

I have a situation that is new to me. Wife (prepared her own return) has already filed MFS for 2008. Husband and wife came to me with his information to prepare his return. I explained to them that in their situation, it would be beneficial to do MFJ. After several days of discussion, they called yesterday and are interested in having a joint return filed for 2008. Since she has already filed (several weeks ago), how would you handle this?

Thanks!

Mo

I had this last year

Originally posted by Mo Sheets View Post
    Good Morning,

I have a situation that is new to me. Wife (prepared her own return) has already filed MFS for 2008. Husband and wife came to me with his information to prepare his return. I explained to them that in their situation, it would be beneficial to do MFJ. After several days of discussion, they called yesterday and are interested in having a joint return filed for 2008. Since she has already filed (several weeks ago), how would you handle this?

Thanks!

Mo

Yay! I know one!

Amend her return to add all his information.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Dont forgot to charge extra for this......

We tax preparers are not responsible for our clients mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        We tax preparers are not responsible for our clients mistakes.

Absolutely, you have to do her MFS return, then amend it to add his stuff, which is way more work than doing it right the first time.
        Last edited by RitaB; 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Again?

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
          Absolutely, you have to do her MFS return, they amend it to add his stuff, which is way more work than doing it right the first time.
          Do her return again? after it's already done? nope.

All I have to do is open a return for them with her data listed first, then enter directly on the 1040x her data as filed. Fix that information as unmovable, then proceed to add his data.
          Takes less time that way.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thank You....

Thanks to everyone for their input/help....I just shake my head sometimes and wonder why clients don't think to call and ask questions first....much easier to do it right the first time!

Thanks again!

Mo

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
              Do her return again? after it's already done? nope.

All I have to do is open a return for them with her data listed first, then enter directly on the 1040x her data as filed. Fix that information as unmovable, then proceed to add his data.
              Takes less time that way.
              You do attach every form that changed, right? I do use little short cuts, like not entering details on her Sch C, cause it won't get attached to the 1040X.
              Last edited by RitaB; 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X