HVAC Depr. Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC Depr. Life

I've done it before, but am drawing a blank and cannot find what class life to put on HVAC unit put into a rental residential house. Will someone straighten me out - well maybe as far as what life to use.

Thanks,
    LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Depr

I believe the HVAC system becomes an integral part of the dwelling (rental) and therefore has to be depreciated the same as the underlying bldg, i.e. 27.5 for residential and 39 for commercial.
    HVAC - all components of central heating, ventilating, AC system is
    section 1250 property and so are depreciable at 27.5 years
    (residential rental) or 39 years (Treasury Regulation 1.48-1)
    Sandy

Comment

I agree with Sandy

Besides being a tax preparer, my husband is a HVAC foreman and I personally would go with the life of the building. Although its unlikely for a unit to last that long, it does become a part of the real property when installed.

Becky

Comment

Originally posted by mblatour View Post
        Besides being a tax preparer, my husband is a HVAC foreman and I personally would go with the life of the building. Although its unlikely for a unit to last that long, it does become a part of the real property when installed.

Becky
        Same with a new roof.

Comment

Thanks all

And thanks Sandy, for the cite. I figured this out a few years ago, but could not find anything on it.

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
          X