E-filing MFS in AZ....can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-filing MFS in AZ....can it be done?

I talked to the AZ dept of Rev and the lady I talked to said and I quote "I am 100% sure you can efile MFS" but my software ProSeries will not allow to efile MFS and the AZ return must be mailed in.

Anyone had any experience with this and if you were successful in e-filing an AZ return MFS, what tax software do you use?

I use PS. I have found that even if the federal return is MFJ...the state return will file as MFS. You may have an entry error somewhere in your software. Did you opt to efile both returns on the information page? Without looking at your entries I can't suggest anything else to you. taxea
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I contacted ProSeries about this today and they said..

their software will not support efiling MFS for AZ. An error appears on the AZ return with instructions to go to Fed Info sheet and un check efiling AZ.

That allows me to efile the Fed as MFS. Then I need to mail in AZ. This is the 3rd year I prepared this clients taxes and ProSeries still does not support efiling AZ Married Filing Separately and this was the first year he asked me why I could not efile AZ when his friends told him their tax preparer efiled their MFS - AZ return.

Comment

The reject that gives many software problems with Arizona is a code 0923.

0923 When Filing Status = 3, Married filing separate (Field 0305, position 13), and the state of
        residence (Field 0095) is one of the following: AZ, CA, LA, NM, NV, ID, TX, or WA; then the
        following must be present:
        • “Community Property Allocation Indicator” (Field 0325, position 78) must be “Y”; and
        • Copy of federal ALLOCR must be transmitted.
        All 140’s
        It can be efiled, but the software must support the "ALLOCR" (or if the state isn't a community property state it doesn't matter.) You also have to be using it to allocate the income between taxpayer/spouse, as if you don't have the MFS allocation you will fail the reject.

Comment

It is the individual states that control the ability to efile. Hawaii doesn't allow an efile of a deceased return. They do allow efiling of MFS. You just never know. taxea
          Last edited by taxea; 03-10-2009, 06:26 AM.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

This is why I want to know if other tax softwares can efile...

AZ - Married Filing Separately. I would like to know if anyone using Lacerte, Drake, and other tax software are able to efile an AZ return Married Filing Separately.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
              It is the individual states that control the ability to efile. Hawaii doesn't allow an efile of a deceased return. They do allow efiling of MFS. You just never know. taxea
              Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              The reject that gives many software problems with Arizona is a code 0923.

It can be efiled, but the software must support the "ALLOCR" (or if the state isn't a community property state it doesn't matter.) You also have to be using it to allocate the income between taxpayer/spouse, as if you don't have the MFS allocation you will fail the reject.
              The individual states control the ability, but as David pointed out, the software must support the efiling specs for the individual state. Kinda like the Minnesota issue were the forms can be efiled but Proseries specs does not support all of them.

Drake supports all EF of community property states - or so that is what I was told.

Comment

Try Lacerte

If Lacerte can do it, Intuit should give you the program free, and you pay only the pay-per-return fee for the return(s) you prepare via Lacerte. That's what they offered me with a couple of situations that ProSeries wouldn't handle. If this is your only return with that situation, it's probably a small price to pay to not have to learn a new software next season, or this!

Comment

Drake can handle it. And if you need help they will walk you thru it.

Comment

According to my 2nd call to ProSeries they now tell me

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                    that each year they are adding 1 or 2 states to support the efiling of MFS in those states. I have concluded this is a ProSeries issue and not a AZ dept of rev issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X