Estate Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate Tax Return

Our office is trying to get into preparing Estate Tax returns. Anyone know of a good source to view or purchase that will give specific examples of how to complete a return. I have one now that we are deciding on whether or not to take as a client.

I have the inventory and appraisal, application for family allowance, sale of real estate and disbursement of proceeds, sale of personal property and accounting, and fiduciary's account (report). Estate value is less than $100,000.

If the estate value is less than $100,000 no Estate Tax return is required (Form 706). I assume you are talking about the Fiduciary Income Tax Return form 1041 which is required if income exceeds $600 during the estate year. You need a good course in handling these that covers your particular state laws and the completion of Form 1041. I would not take any on until you have more training/education. Sometimes local colleges offer these in their adult education classes. The completion of Form 1041 is covered pretty completely in the IRS instructions, if that is all you are going to do, but you need a background in the whole process of probate, accounting, and distribution of assets to really do it right.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X