Client Appointments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Appointments

How do you convince clients to make appointments?

I like to go thru the client's prior year tax return, looking for problem areas or notes that would be helpful during the interview. This usually takes up to 10 minutes for each client.

I always do this first thing each morning for that day's appointments.

However, clients walk in with no appointments. This totally disrupts my schedule because I have to stop what I am doing, make a quick review of their file before seeing them, and then spend extra time interviewing them. Note: I do not do returns with the client present as most of my returns take more than one hour each.

Days that I plan on not having client appointments are set up so that I do get returns out.

Then that is interrupted by walk-ins. These are all prior year clients.

I put in my annual letter in bold, at the start of the letter before they get bored reading, to PLEASE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.

I do penalize those that walk in with a fee surcharge for not making an appointment.

That doesn't stop them either.

I tried pre-scheduling, but in a small farming community, "that ain't going to work".

Relatively new at this, but getting frustrated. How do you "old-timers" do it?
    Jiggers, EA

Same Problem

I work out of my home, while it's not a big problem for me I hate it when someone just "Pops over". I really can't have more than one client in at a time so if I end up with two, I ask the second one to please wait in another room. I stress the fact that I don't want people overhearing our conversation, that there are privacy issues at stake. There are also the ones that want to chat for an extra half hour, I'm a socialble guy but I do have to work. I find it works best for me to do returns from 3 am to 8 am and then start appointments. Just like you I don't do returns while they wait, I don't like anyone looking over my shoulder.

Comment

I do everything I possibly can to keep my clients out of my office so I can get my work done. The majority of my clients either mail their info, scan & email it, or drop it in a night drop at my office. Some do drop it off during the work day, but since I don't have many appointments it isn't as much of a hassle when they drop in unexpectedly, I do ask them in my client letter to call first, but of course some don't bother.

Developing strategies for keeping clients out of the office is a very productive habit to develop. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most returning clients don't need a lengthy interview in order to get their return prepared - all that's needed is the information (minus the distraction of the client talking about their kids, grandkids, the weather, politics, etc). Questions that come up during the preparation can be answered easily enough through email, or a phone call as a last resort.

I find that clients themselves appreciate the convenience of not having to spend a lot of time in my office, since they also lead busy lives. There are of course a few that feel they must sit down and hand you every piece of paper one at a time, but they are a small group.

For me, the bottom line is we are in a service profession. We can either adapt our working style to providing the service in the manner the client wants (with a fee appropriate for the level of service & convenience the client expects), or we can urge the client to go somewhere else if they are just too much trouble. We aren't likely to change their behavior to suit our wishes - it's easier to adjust your fees than it is to alter the client's habits.
      Last edited by JohnH; 03-07-2009, 07:34 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        For me, the bottom line is we are in a service profession. We can either adapt our working style to providing the service in the manner the client wants (with a fee appropriate for the level of service & convenience the client expects), or we can urge the client to go somewhere else if they are just too much trouble. We aren't likely to change their behavior to suit our wishes - it's easier to adjust your fees than it is to alter the client's habits.
        Love this, JohnH.

Jiggers, for people who stop by to drop off, or to book an appt, or whatever, if I'm busy, I give them a quick minute or two. Grab their file, maybe a few basic questions (anything new? same direct deposit acct?, same phone#/email?) and I tell them I'll contact them if other questions. Maybe your answer is just to spend less time with the pop-ins? Despite all the efforts you make, they do happen, so I just try to work them into the flow. Been at this a little while, but not an "old-timer."

Comment

I wish they WOULDN'T call for appointment

I am happy when existing clients just walk in. To me, that "when can I bring my stuff" call is irritating. Go figure. And get this - I have a few folks who DROP IN empty handed to ask, "when can I bring my stuff." Course, they usually ask 48 "quick questions," too.

My answering machine says, "If you are an existing client calling for an appointment to bring in your information, you don't need one. Just come in between 8 and 4 Monday through Friday."

I also have those hours on my door. Of course, I'm there way more than that, but I don't answer the phone after 4 or on Saturday, and for sure on Saturday, the door is locked!

I get more done in three hours on Saturday than other days 8 to 4. I agree with John (I always do), if I can keep people out of the office, I do fine.

And I do enjoy chatting with people, but you know how it is during tax season, you never get anything accomplished.

Also, when people insist on an appointment, I warn them, someone IS going to walk in during this time, so just expect that to happen.
          Last edited by RitaB; 03-07-2009, 08:33 AM.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

That is a plus spot on my practice..

So far I have had good luck with clients making and sticking with their appts. I too work from my house and I am not a big fan making a client wait in another room. Last year I had a new client call 10 mins before their appt telling me they are running late. That was the last I heard from them.

Comment

appointments

Jiggers,

Back when I, too, finally decided to switch to "appointments only" scheduling, I did it this way. When an unannounced client dropped by, and assuming I was in the middle of
              something, and/or I wanted to make a point, I would greet him up front but then say "just a
              minute while I get my book.:" Then walk back to office to get appointment book and ask
              him "What day would be convenient for you?" and take it from there.

Sure, I still have one or two who chance it, and if I'm not too terribly busy, will take em on in
              at once. But I'm happy to say that nowdays 98% are scheduled appointments.

On another subject, some clients want reassurance that I'll still be doing their returns in future years. With today's economy (translation: stock market) as it is, I did come up
              with a new slogan last night at happy hour: "Next Year? Never fear; I'll be here!"

Feel free to use it, royalty free.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

I did come up with a new slogan last night at happy hour: "Next Year? Never fear; I'll be here!"
                So, you came up with, "Next year? Never fear; I'll be here!" over a beer??

Comment

beer?

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                  So, you came up with, "Next year? Never fear; I'll be here!" over a beer??
                  heavens NO! Beer won't be "in season" till baseball season starts.

Besides, 5 pm happy hour is sacred and blessed by my ancestors' Scotch spirits.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I, started off by not taking drop offs, I tell them that it would be best for them to keep their papers until they return for their appointment, and when would you like that appointment. Once I got a receptionist, it was very easy for her to do this. My problem is that I don't like doing the drop offs or mail ins, and I get backlogged with them. People soon discover that their returns get done faster if they have an appointment.

Comment

Take their paperwork and set up an appointment. Don't even look it over.

I don't have the problem either because my rules are:

I work at home. I don't schedule appointments.
                      Clients are sent worksheets and a checklist to put together their docs.
                      They then mail them or drop them in a mail slot at my home. I don't answer the door.
                      I don't take phone calls during the tax season. My assistant picks up the messages and calls clients for info I need.
                      Much of the questions/answers are handled via email.

In other words I don't stop what I am doing to see anyone that just drops in. taxea
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I'm appointment only. I've only had one client show up unannounced, and I was getting ready to call them anyways, (to sign the 8879) so I just took them in. But I work out of my house and have two barking dogs and work 4 days in the other office, so you can't just walk in. If its a long time client, many of them use my mailbox (big and it locks). But with those, I tend to forget when their stuff came in, and when I look for 'who's next' the appointments tend to get done first.

Comment

Working...
                        X