Dumb question, but I have to ask.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question, but I have to ask.....

In determining if taxpayer is required to file a tax return; if taxpayer has rental, do you consider the gross or net income from rental as part of overall income?

I use the definition for Gross Income from the Dependency Tests rules.
    Not sure if it is the same for filing requirement.

Gross income. For purposes of the dependency rules, gross income
    is all taxable income before adjustments and deductions
    including:
    • Schedule C income less cost of goods sold. Other Schedule C
    deductions do not reduce gross income.
    Gross receipts from rental property. Do not deduct taxes, repairs,
    etc.

• Partner’s share of the gross, not the net, partnership income.

Gross income does not include:
    • Nontaxable Social Security.
    • Income received by a permanently and totally disabled individual
    for services performed at a sheltered workshop. Income
    must come solely from activities at the workshop that are incident
    to medical care. Sheltered workshops are schools operated
    by tax-exempt organizations that provide training designed to
    alleviate disabilities.
    Last edited by Gene V; 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Think of it this way

If the client received a 1099 for $20,000 of rent would you file? Of course you would.

Comment

I'm right there with you, Susie,

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
        In determining if taxpayer is required to file a tax return; if taxpayer has rental, do you consider the gross or net income from rental as part of overall income?
        You're not the only dumbster in the bunch. I was just ponderin' the same puzzle last night -- my guy had $22K gross rent, but owed no tax (fed or state). So...I was a'thinkin' -- "Hmmm...what's "gross"? But then, intuition (not Intuit) struck and it sunk in -- IRS cain't use net E because taxpayers (like mine) would simply say to themselves "Self, we lost money last year -- why file a loss?" If they did that, then IRS would never get a chance to audit and adjust things. And think about all those unclaimed 1099s that would be floatin' around without a home...no, it just wouldn't do.

And now, Kram, has confirmed my suspicions and speculations with just the kind of deep research in which I occasionally dabble.

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
        If the client received a 1099 for $20,000 of rent would you file? Of course you would.
        Last edited by Black Bart; 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

From Pub 17

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
          You're not the only dumbster in the bunch. I was just ponderin' the same puzzle last night -- my guy had $22K gross rent, but owed no tax (fed or state). So...I was a'thinkin' -- "Hmmm...what's "gross"? But then, intuition (not Intuit) struck and it sunk in -- IRS cain't use net E because taxpayers (like mine) would simply say to themselves "Self, we lost money last year -- why file a loss?" If they did that, then IRS would never get a chance to audit and adjust things. And think about all those unclaimed 1099s that would be floatin' around without a home...no, it just wouldn't do.

And now, Kram, has confirmed by suspicions and speculations with just the kind of deep research in which I occasionally dabble.
          Gross income means all income you received in the form of money, goods, property, and services that is not exempt from tax, including any income from sources outside the United States (even if you may exclude part a joint return, enter the SSNs in the same order or all of it). Do not include any social security benefits unless (a) you are married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2008 or (b) one-half of your social security benefits plus your other gross income is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly). If (a) or (b) applies, see the instructions for Form 1040 or 1040A or Publication 915 to figure the taxable part of social security benefits.

Comment

Well thanx, Larmil,

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
            Gross income means all income you received in the form of money, goods, property, and services that is not exempt from tax, including any income from sources outside the United States (even if you may exclude part a joint return, enter the SSNs in the same order or all of it). Do not include any social security benefits unless (a) you are married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2008 or (b) one-half of your social security benefits plus your other gross income is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly). If (a) or (b) applies, see the instructions for Form 1040 or 1040A or Publication 915 to figure the taxable part of social security benefits.
            but if it's all the same and you don't mind, I kinda prefer Kram's abbreviated explanations --they're so direct and quick (not to mention less trouble), you see.

Appreciate the thought anyway though!

Best regards, BB

Comment

No 1099

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
              A 1099 would force you to file. I have a rent house and rent it to an individual who does not send me a 1099, so I could avoid filing, but with all that depreciation I end up showing a tax loss even though I'm making money on a cash-flow basis.

Comment

Gross is gross. I got a letter once from Idaho early on in my career when I confused 'gross' ID income with net for a client with an ID rental. never again. But each state has a different filing requirement, so you have to look them up. But for rentals, usually you want to establish basis and any loss C/Fs that could be used when the property is sold.

Comment

Gross is gross. I got a letter once from Idaho early on in my career when I confused 'gross' ID income with net for a client with an ID rental. never again. But each state has a different filing requirement, so you have to look them up. But for rentals, usually you want to establish basis and any loss C/Fs that could be used when the property is sold.

Comment

Comment

hiccups

Joan, have you got them.... :-)

Comment

Now see there, Larmil?

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                        Gross is gross.
                        That's the style I was

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                        (Thanx Larmil,) but if it's all the same and you don't mind, I kinda prefer Kram's abbreviated explanations --they're so direct and quick (not to mention less trouble), you see. Appreciate the thought anyway though! Best regards, BB
                        talkin' about.

Joan's explanations are immediate and apparent -- bringing to mind the "Simon"-ized drop-dead bluntness of that talent show hanging judge, while, as an advocate of "Southern politeness," I prefer a softer, muted response (example: "While agreeing in principle with your enlightened view, may I pretty please with sugar suggest a similar, yet alternative, approach to this problem...blah, blah, blah"). See?

The downside is people often don't know what the hell I'm sayin' (not to mention they're in a hurry). Still, I'm workin' on.......a similar, yet alternative, approach to this problem....
                        Last edited by Black Bart; 03-08-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X