Summer Coaching Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Coaching Job

Client received a 1099-Misc for coaching last summer. Made $1485.00. Would this be subject to SE taxes?

Yes

It is earned income. Do a schedule C. We always ask for mileage, special items like whistles they had to supply and special Ref uniforms as legitimate deductions.
    AJ, EA

Comment

How about Pepper Spray or MACE?
      Based on the antics that I've seen by stupid parents at some games, every ref should carry it.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

What if

there could be a case made that this is hobby income for coaches? Seems I read this some years ago and I will check it out and post if I find what I read.

D

Comment

Sorry

I could not find what I read a few years ago. I am certain this was on the IRS site, but cannot find it now that I want it!

I prepared a coach on a C with some small expenses, same amount of income, but after reading this, took him off it and listed this as hobby income on L21, not subject to SE. I would not have done this otherwise, without this go-ahead. I've been doing this for several years and have not had a problem.

D

Comment

Here is a link to a decent discussion of the subject. He's talking about referees, but I'd think both referees and coaches face pretty much the same set of expenses. It's dated 2002, but I thought he did a pretty good job of covering the subject. He didn't fall for the trap on the Home Office idea, but nevertheless did give a pretty good overview of the pros & cons. I noticed that he did mention a fairly thorough list of possible expenses in the general discussion.

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
            X