Tuition Credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition Credits

High school kid takes some college classes while in high school (junior/senior) for dual credit and gets a 1098T.

I say no lifetime credit.

It obviously doesn't qualify for Hope Credit.
    Jiggers, EA

Why no LLC? Check pub 970:

p. 23 defines eligible student, and p. 20 has Table 3-1 showing Hope & LLC requirements. They might qualify.

Comment

Page 23 says they MUST be a high school graduate......
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        Page 23 says they MUST be a high school graduate......

Bob, please help me out and tell me where, 'cause I am not finding this language on p. 23, pub 970. Thanks!
        Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
          Bob, please help me out and tell me where, 'cause I am not finding this language on p. 23, pub 970. Thanks!
          Barb
          Sorry>> -page 39 "Who is an eligible student"
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Cool, thanks. That eligibility requirement only applies to the T&F deduction, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
              Cool, thanks. That eligibility requirement only applies to the T&F deduction, though.
              I'm confused, aren't we talking about T&F? What other issue is there?

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                I'm confused, aren't we talking about T&F? What other issue is there?
                Bob,
                I think the original post was talking about Hope and Learning Credit, All three deduction
                have difference requirement.
                See TTB page 12-2 for summary

Comment

After reading

the posts here and in other discussions and everything I could find in TTB and Pub 17, etc. I have doubts if the high school student qualifies. My son is taking some college classes to finish his high school degree and to get a start on college classes. But he is not enrolled in a degree program and that is a requirement for The Hope and the lifetime learning Credit. the LLC says in a degree program or take the course to acquire or improve job skills. I do not believe a high school student qualifies for those reasons.
                  If you feel that do they do for the same reasons, I can understand. I have found no specific ruling on the issue.
                  One difference for us, I guess, is that the entire cost is covered by the school system, so there is no expenses to deduct. I like free college credits!!
                  AJ, EA

Comment

Lifetime doesn't have any degree program requirements. See table 35-1 in Pub 17 page 233.

Also is a table in TTB 12-2.

Comment

Working...
                    X