Same Everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same Everything

Had a woman came in one day; HOH with 2 kids and got a lot of money on EIC. About 4 days after a man came and filed his single and when I transmitted his to file back another year it went behind hers in the filing cabinet and noticed same name.

I looked and they had same address; same name; same phone # and same name for kids. I called and they are married. Said they wanted the EIC, he made too much money. With so many people I did not catch that; so now what? Is that a red flad on ME too?
    SueBaby

As long as you did your due dilegence at the time of preparation and advised them that this farce would not continue you should be okay.

I just realized two unrelated persons are attempting to claim the same child and am holding both returns until one can prove the right to claim the child. Barring that I either chose and send one away or send both away.

At times I feel like hanging up a "No EITC Returns Here" sign or maybe charging $250 like HRB does to make it worth my time. Then again there is that subset, albeit small, of good clients having a run of bad luck or circumstance who truly benefit from the program.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Man wasn't very smart

They sure weren't very smart. If they were trying to cheat and get the EIC, you would have thought they would have used different offices to file in.

I don't know what you do now. They are both filed, but it seems like you could or should do something. I'll be interested in the answers you get from the esteemed people on this board.

Linda

Comment

My first thought is to prepare amended returns (did you do both parties in '08? I can't tell) , and tell them to get into my office with their checkbook to get the 1040X's signed so I can mail them away myself with their balance due checks.

And then banish them!

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
          My first thought is to prepare amended returns (did you do both parties in '08? I can't tell) , and tell them to get into my office with their checkbook to get the 1040X's signed so I can mail them away myself with their balance due checks.

And then banish them!
          No I did not do them in '08 or I would have known them---they are new. Had so many new till didn't reconize their names or faces. I am so mad about it till I could eat nails. People are something these days. I get burned one time and learn from it. Don't have time to redo any now. BUT I did make a BIG red note NOT to see or do them next year or tell them to go elsewhere! for them to play me.
          SueBaby

Comment

The only thing that you need to do is write a letter to them warning them that their returns are not legal tax returns and they should amend them to reflect the proper filing status.

I would send it Certified Return Receipt. Other than that I would do nothing because at the time you did the returns you were not aware of a filing problem for each of them. Keep the letter and CRR for your files. If a problem later comes up you have done your part to correct the problem. You did the return based on info the t/p provided.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I agree with Bob. You would have never known they cheated the system except for the same last names. What do you do about people who get married and she does not change her name. If that was the situation, you would have never caught it.

People know how the system works. If the Gov't wants to complain about EIC being abused, then they should fix it. Have the IRS immediately double check address just like dates of birth, and SSN on efiles.

It would only take one year before the public realized to give different addresses or made up addresses.

Comment

Working...
              X