Gambling Wins/Losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gambling Wins/Losses

Have clients who file MFJ. One spouse has net winnings over losses, other spouse has net losses, no winnings. Can one spouse's net losses be used against other spouses net winnings? TTB does not address this.

Originally posted by Burke View Post
    Have clients who file MFJ. One spouse has net winnings over losses, other spouse has net losses, no winnings. Can one spouse's net losses be used against other spouses net winnings? TTB does not address this.
    I do it all the time..... but it is a good question.....Joint return, joint money used, not a professional gambler, Humm........................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

If I key the amounts separately into my software using each spouse's info, it nets them on the return. So that is what I am going to do. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Even if the TTB does not address this, the good news is that the income tax regulations do!!!

Reg ยง1.165-10 allows COMBINED losses of the spouses to the extent of COMBINED winnings of the spouses.

Comment

Thanks. I could not find it in my other IRS sources either.

Comment

Working...
          X