"Old" Homebuyer Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Old" Homebuyer Credit

Have they done away with the repayment requirement for the $7,500 credit?

No if you take the "old" credit, there is still the repayment required.

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Gosh, this presents a difficult decision to be made by those buying homes after 1-1-09, doesn't it?

You gotta ask yourself: "Should I take $7,500 and pay it back for 15 years or should I take $8,000 and not pay it back? Hmm...let me think this one over..."

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
        Gosh, this presents a difficult decision to be made by those buying homes after 1-1-09, doesn't it?

You gotta ask yourself: "Should I take $7,500 and pay it back for 15 years or should I take $8,000 and not pay it back? Hmm...let me think this one over..."
        Don't believe it is optional, if you purchased before 1-01-09 the $7500 "loan" and applicable rules apply; if you purchased after 12-31-08 the $8000 credit and applicable new rules apply.

Comment

That too

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
          Don't believe it is optional, if you purchased before 1-01-09 the $7500 "loan" and applicable rules apply; if you purchased after 12-31-08 the $8000 credit and applicable new rules apply.
          is my understanding of the new legislation. What IF someone who bought a house in January elected the old rules? IRS might look at the return and question the guy's sanity and promptly audit him. (grin)

However I must admit, I'm not sure "sanity" is in the IRS audit rules.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            is my understanding of the new legislation. What IF someone who bought a house in January elected the old rules? IRS might look at the return and question the guy's sanity and promptly audit him. (grin)

However I must admit, I'm not sure "sanity" is in the IRS audit rules.
            If we start applying logic or sanity in our profession we would be in a heap of trouble.

Comment

Can you

imagine the number of domestic disputes this little gem has caused? Conversations probably went like: "You're ALWAYS putting things off -- let's hurry and close this deal before the year ends and get that $7,500 interest-free loan. You never know when they'll change the law and maybe not let people buying in January get in on this."

Comment

Great point.
                What about the hapless real estate agent who urged his clients to "close the deal" before Dec 31 using that same logic. Anybody smell a lawsuit here?
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

This is correct. Even if you elect to take the new credit on 2008 return. Still use new rules. So I agree, there is no "option." I expect they will waive the payback for the $7,500 credit due to this, however. Next tax bill will probably make it retroactive due to hue and cry. We always thought they would do it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X