How long to amend 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to amend 2005

I need to amend farmer's 2005 tax return. Farmers are required to file by March 1 to keep from paying estimates and I have his 2008 return ready to file. Can I still amend 2005 up to April 15th, or does it need to be in the mail before the 2008 return is sent?

Go ahead

and file his 2008 return whenever you and he agree. It has no bearing on his 2005 amend. Your deadline to amend a return and get a refund is three years to the day from the due date of the original return. (Forget about the fact that you filed the original return by March 1 to avoid having to make the fourth estimated tax payment. The due date for the return was 4/15 unless 4/15 fell on a Saturday, Sunday, or Federal Holiday that year in which case the due date was the next business day.) Note that this deadline is the deadline even if it happens to fall on a Saturday or Sunday or Federal Holiday. Also remember that you may have trouble getting a postmark on any of those days so you may need to either mail the Friday before or use an alternative service to the PO.

Personally I would use either certified mail return receipt requested or one of the recognized delivery services and I would keep the paperwork from the shipping until well after I had acknowledgment from the IRS that they got the amend and it was in time.

Comment

Working...
    X