Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rental ignored; nothing in, nothing out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap loss carryforward

Those rental properties had hefty Loss carryforwards as well. (Near $200K together) They were Florida rentals hit by hurricanes in the past.

I do not think he can still carry these losses forward because they were probably paid with loans that the friend is now paying.

I am leaving the properties on the return, have stopped depreciation on everything associated with these 2 properties. When it didn't zero out, I realized there were those losses carrying.

Do you agree to stop the loss carryforwards as well?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

More info is needed to answer this question. It depends if you mean passive activity losses or at-risk losses and if indeed partner did take over any loans.

Someone else then needs to answer this question, I just know enough to be dangerous.

Comment

Thanks Gretel!

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        More info is needed to answer this question. It depends if you mean passive activity losses or at-risk losses and if indeed partner did take over any loans.

Someone else then needs to answer this question, I just know enough to be dangerous.
        Hi Gretel,
        Since he is not actively participating in these two rental properties anymore, and I am sure the friend has assumed this loss, he cannot carry the loss on the return.
        It isn't like a Sch D loss....

You have helped me tremendously with this tax return. I thank you so much. And I'll be glad when it is filed and off my desk!

=)
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
        X