S-Corp, Stock Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-Corp, Stock Purchase

With a recent post regarding investment interest with the sale of S-Corp Stock I've been reviewing a customer's return.

I may be reading more into this than I should but I would like to know. I have been deducting the interest paid by the new shareholders as investment interest. It may have been listed incorrectly. The above may make a difference.
    Thank you
    Last edited by geekgirldany; 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM. Reason: edited for privacy

If the new shareholder is active in the SCorp the interest would go to outside basis, not investment interest subject to investment income.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

And

a stock sale between two owners has nothing to do with the corporation, whose name
      should be kept out of it.

Of course the corporation will, or should have already, transferred stock certificates.

for a previous owner to "hold" the certificates is not ethical or legal I think.

A sale is a sale.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Yes it is a active shareholder/employee. I know it was wrongly classified as investment interest. But what I am now looking at is that the loan used to purchased the stock.. the interest can be deducted on Schedule E, page 2.

This page tells about it: http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/20...ts/d45500a.htm

One section says:
        Active interest expense is interest incurred in connection with a trade or business activity in which the taxpayer materially participates and which is not a rental real estate activity. Active interest expense is not subject to the investment interest limitations or the passive loss limitations. It should be noted that active interest incurred in connection with performing services as an employee is classified as nondeductible personal interest. Otherwise, active interest will generally be deductible.

Comment

I will reread about the stock certificates.
          Last edited by geekgirldany; 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM. Reason: edited for privacy

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
            Yes it is a active shareholder/employee. I know it was wrongly classified as investment interest. But what I am now looking at is that the loan used to purchased the stock.. the interest can be deducted on Schedule E, page 2.

This page tells about it: http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/20...ts/d45500a.htm

One section says:
            Active interest expense is interest incurred in connection with a trade or business activity in which the taxpayer materially participates and which is not a rental real estate activity. Active interest expense is not subject to the investment interest limitations or the passive loss limitations. It should be noted that active interest incurred in connection with performing services as an employee is classified as nondeductible personal interest. Otherwise, active interest will generally be deductible.

Here is a sentence under "Active Interest" >>"It should be noted that active interest incurred in connection with performing services as an employee is classified as nondeductible personal interest".

Non-deductible interest gets added to the asset (Stock) as an outside basis increase. Schedule E should not be an issue here.
            Last edited by BOB W; 02-16-2009, 07:16 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I've been doing some more research. I know what the article I posted says about active interest and performing services as an employee... but isn't being a shareholder/employee consider material participation?
              Last edited by geekgirldany; 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM. Reason: edited for privacy

Comment

Working...
              X