Indirect Child Care Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indirect Child Care Fees

How should this be reported by my client?
    Any different than any other type of income?

My client's son and girlfriend have a child.
    The girlfriend gets money from the government for child care expenses, where my client is the provider.

The check goes to the girlfriend, she endorses the check, and hands it over to my client.

The government doesn't issue the money or any form to my client, as the case is listed under the girlfriend's name.

The girlfriend isn't my client (yet).

My client should report the income, right?

Is there any special way to report it?
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

No Income

No strings attached to what the woman gives to her significant other, even if one could presume it is to reimburse for support. Not income. Conceivably could even be designated as a "gift."

HOWEVER, the amount paid will probably disqualify both the woman and the man from claiming the child. This amount paid by the government would enter into the formula where support of 51% is supported.

Comment

But Snags

It is not the significant other who is providing care and getting the money that ultimately comes from the government, it is the s/o's parent. I don't know whether that changes anything or not.

Comment

is your client the grandmother? and is she running a daycare where she cares for other children as well.

Comment

No income

The money she receives in this situation should be considered just the son and his girlfriend helping with the household expenses. That is not taxable income.
          AJ, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
            How should this be reported by my client?
            Any different than any other type of income?

My client's son and girlfriend have a child.
            The girlfriend gets money from the government for child care expenses, where my client is the provider.

The check goes to the girlfriend, she endorses the check, and hands it over to my client.

The government doesn't issue the money or any form to my client, as the case is listed under the girlfriend's name.

The girlfriend isn't my client (yet).

My client should report the income, right?

Is there any special way to report it?
            It's income to your client, she's providing a service for the money. Sch. C income is where I would put it, just like any child care provider.

If the g/f becomes a client, at least you'll know she isn't paying the child care expenses.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X