CA Question;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Question;

On the non-resident return, it asks how many day were you in CA for any reason.Does this have anything to do with them trying to see if TP is actually a resident? Is there a certain number of days permissible?
    JG

My Experience

JG,

Answer to your first question is yes, to see if you are a resident or non resident

Answer to your second question is the pro-rate on the deductions if you are truly a non resident or part year resident. A lot of so-called non residents are in the bordering states such as Nevada, Oregon and Arizona, so they watch those t/p reportings closely.

Calif is particularly agressive to try to collect any/and all taxes due them, even before year 2008 and now going into to 2009, so it can only become worse.

For t/p to be truly a non resident of California anytime throughout the year, they will have to prove that they changed their drivers license, voters registration, vehicle registration, change of address at PO, all of their financial connections, etc. In otherwords, they have severed all ties with any and all ties to California.

The t/p, however, can still own property in California, such as rental property and will not be considered a Resident of California, but must report the appropriate forms for rental income/loss.

Sandy

Sandy

Comment

Thanks so much Sandy. TP just winters in CA, owns a home in her home state (Idaho), votes in ID, etc. I think she is OK.
      JG

Comment

T/p should be okay

Word of warning though as I have experienced this after a Calif resident moved to another State, make sure the t/p bank and investment account holdings all know that they mark something in their records that the t/p is NO LONGER a resident of California and a resident of the other State, even if they are still maintaining a California Bank or Investment Account.

If your client does not do that or close out all Calif accounts, your t/p will be receiving notcies that tax is due on some "amount". A Calif FTB representative clued me in on this a few years back.

Sandy

Comment

I should have added that she hasn't been a CA resident for a decade and pays taxes in Idaho (a state tax state).

She has a home in her home state, she doesn't have one in CA. She stays with family for the winter.
          Last edited by JG EA; 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM.
          JG

Comment

Going back and forth is one of the things they look at. Especially if she maintains a home here.

Comment

Working...
            X