Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxpayer Obligation/Rights

Hey Folks:

Many years ago I read a saying that went something like this. any one know what it said.?
    My memory is not as sharp as it once was, so I may have it all messed up.

"As a Taxpayer I have the right and obligation to use the tax laws to pay the minimum amount of tax."

Thank all

Kurly

Maybe you're thinking of Judge Billings Learned Hand,

"Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury. There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes. Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everyone does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands."

================================================== ===========

On the opposite side of the argument is Jean Baptiste Colbert
    (French Economist and Minister of Finance under King Louis XIV of France. 1619-1683)

“The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing”
    Last edited by JohnH; 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

John, You just know too much about this kind of stuff. We may have to investigate your background to see if there are any unpaid taxes in your background and then possibly appoint you to a government office.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Unpaid taxes would be a big point in my favor in the current political environment, wouldn't it?

I think I might qualify under that "Team of Rivals" concept as well.
        Last edited by JohnH; 02-14-2009, 10:30 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
        X