FICA Exempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FICA Exempt

I have a son who is under 18 and paid by parent business. How do I show this income? I don't think they did a W-2 b/c no FICA and won't have taxes to pay--it's not 1099 income, it's not business income for him, maybe show in other income or is there a better way?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

The business needs to give him a W-2. He was an employee, no FICA as you say, but still have the filing requirement for the W-2 & W-3, etc. This is a sole-prop right?
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

What should I do?

The parent business is also a client. If they did no w-2, isn't it too late? We can still get the W-3 in time, the son won't care about the W-2 due date. Is this how I need to advise them?

Comment

Yes, do the W-2/W3.

Comment

There is no 941 or state rec. requirements since there are no withholding or FICA right?

Comment

Who's son?

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
            I have a son who is under 18 and paid by parent business. How do I show this income? I don't think they did a W-2 b/c no FICA and won't have taxes to pay--it's not 1099 income, it's not business income for him, maybe show in other income or is there a better way?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
            Above you indicated the "son" worked for you in your business? But then you referred to
            parents as "they".

If your son worked for you then you knew this already, right?

On the other hand, you did not indicate what kind of business you are conducting. Are you in the tax
            business and operating as a proprietorship? Or with husband operating as a family partnership? In these
            two cases you minor son is FICA exempt. But if you are operating as an LLC or corporation, then he was
            indeed subject to FICA and would have/should have been included along with your other employees.
            Last edited by ChEAr$; 02-12-2009, 09:31 PM.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
              There is no 941 or state rec. requirements since there are no withholding or FICA right?
              As long as the parent's business was a sole proprietorship, yes.

Comment

Why LLC?

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

But if you are operating as an LLC or corporation, then he was
                indeed subject to FICA and would have/should have been included along with your other employees.
                Why do you include LLC in that statement? In the case of a single Member LLC or a partnership in which both partners are the parent of the child, the exempt rules are in effect. If the LLC elects to be a corporation then the corporation rules are in effect and the child is not exempt.
                AJ, EA

Comment

Because

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
                  Why do you include LLC in that statement? In the case of a single Member LLC or a partnership in which both partners are the parent of the child, the exempt rules are in effect. If the LLC elects to be a corporation then the corporation rules are in effect and the child is not exempt.
                  an LLC is a separate entity and IRS has not ruled on the issue yet that I've heard of.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                    an LLC is a separate entity and IRS has not ruled on the issue yet that I've heard of.
                    A LLC is classified as a sole-proprietor, partnership or corporation for tax purposes according to the situation of each. I have found nothing to say they do anything other than follow the rules for the entity type they qualify for. The rules state that a single member LLC that has not elected otherwise is a disregarded entity, therefor all rules for a sole proprietor applies.
                    I understand not all agree with this opinion, as with many issues in taxation and that states may have different rules. LLC is limited liability company, not corporation. We also apply this understanding for the LLCs we issue 1099s for. Just being a LLC does not exempt them from receiving a 1099-misc.
                    A LLC is not a seperate entity unless they have elected corporate status, or in the limited case now, of having employees.
                    AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
                    X