Amending Fradulent Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending Fradulent Return

I have a new client who wants me to amend 2005 and 2004 returns. He had Amscot do a return with only one W2 and he really had three. The result, he received a refund of $4717 when actually he should have paid a little over $300. Now he owes $5,000. He told me he knew he owed that money and had placed his refund check in the bank. (Amscot had charged him $240 for his return)

With my big soft heart I really feel for him. I planned to prepare a 1040X and an installment agreement to let him decide what he can pay initially and how much he can pay monthly.

What would you suggest I do in this situation. I have my fees in cash already.

I still need to do the 2004 amendment. Lord only knows what that will bring. I feel saturated right now. If I had to do as many returns as some of you I would be bonkers.

Amend

Since the most important thing is done, getting the fee up front, I would prepare the amended returns and give them to him so he can file them with the installment request. Remind him that he will owe interest for late payment.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X