SE Tax ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Tax ?

Client, a retired laborer did a small repair project for a local bank. The bank issued a 1099 MISC for $ 4650.00 showing the amount in box 7 non employee compensation. This was the only job he did during the year. He has not worked for many years and has not done “side jobs” in the past. I did not see any choice but to report this as SE income. Any thoughts to the contrary?

In a situation such as this with this much money involved, I also feel it should be sch c and se. Someone may argue that since it is a one time deal, it should be line 21, but I am not comfortable with that treatment.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Sure. Line 21. Look up Batok vs Commissioner. The downside is that expenses must go on Sch A Misc.
      Last edited by solomon; 02-10-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon View Post
        Sure. Line 21. Look up Batok vs Commissioner. The downside is that expenses must go on Sch A Misc.
        I have something similar with a 16-yr old student. Received 1099-Misc from agency for a job with disabled person, around $5,000. She did it pretty much all year but never did before and never will do again. I think she is out of luck because of continuity and not just summer job, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          I have something similar with a 16-yr old student. Received 1099-Misc from agency for a job with disabled person, around $5,000. She did it pretty much all year but never did before and never will do again. I think she is out of luck because of continuity and not just summer job, right?
          I think your are correct. Profit motive in of itself does not make it a trade or business but that with actively and regularity does make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon View Post
            Thanks for the site. Looks like we can make this argument if the IRS tries to assess SE tax.

Comment

Working...
            X