Can't get w-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get w-2

Is there an IRS form or some sort of official looking form to send to an employer? My client has called and asked, employer said it had been sent, now won't answer my clients phone calls. His pay checks were always hand written with no stub.

an't get w-2

From the IRS website.

Topic 154 - Form W-2 and Form 1099–R (What to Do if Not Received)

If you do not receive your Form W-2 or Form 1099-R by January 31st , or your information is incorrect, contact your employer/payer.

If you do not receive the missing or corrected form by February 14th from your employer/payer, you may call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for assistance. You must provide your name, address (including zip code), phone number, Social Security Number, dates of employment, your employer/payer's name, address (including zip code), and phone number. The IRS will contact the employer/payer for you and request the missing form. IRS will also send you a Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R.

If you do not receive the missing form in sufficient time to file your tax return timely, you may use the Form 4852. If you receive the missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099 after you file your return and a correction is needed, use Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. For additional information on filing an amended return, refer to Topic 308, Amended Returns.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Thanks, We were looking for something a little faster. Client needs to file FAFSA for daughter's college stuff, and the missing W-2 is slowing our efforts down. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Comment

Go ahead and do the FAFSA..

with estimated figures. When you finally get the return done, go back online and do a correction.

Done all the time... and at least the kid will be in line for aid. If the correction significantly changes the EFC, then the school will adjust the actual package for the correction.

Comment

W2 Now!

Print out topis 154 or the post.
          Tell them that if they don't respond by weeks end {with a W2 in hand} you'll have to call and get the IRS involved. This would prompt an audit for sure. That alone would prompt me to react! And I don't scare as easy as the general population when it comes to the IRS boys.....

Hardball = Bowling Ball

Good luck with that.
          Matthew Jones
          Tax Preparation
          Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
          Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
          X