Oil & Gas Revenue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil & Gas Revenue

I have a client that inherited oil and gas revenue from her father that passed away last year. She received a 1099-misc with gross revenue in Box 2, federal withholding in Box 4.It appears that the income is from Michigan. This is not a standard 1099-misc and there is also an amount called severance tax. I know the royalty goes on Schedule E, but what is the severance tax? Also, I assume I need to calculate depletion? I have never done this before. What questions do I need to ask her?

Thanks,

Gary

Oil & Gas Revenue

Is this income from a "working interest" from the production of oil/gas wells? If it is, then it goes on Schedule C, subject to SE tax.
    On P. 9-21 of TTB it gives you the depletion allowances, but it doesn't disclose the allowance for Oil and Gas wells - which is 15%.
    If the income is for the use of the land, that's royalty income that does go on Schedule E.
    Don't know what severance taxes are.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Box 2

Since it was in Box 2 of the 1099-misc, I would assume it is a royalty.

Comment

I don't know for sure if there is a federal severance tax or not, but it is often a state tax. We have a lot of it here in Arkansas. Where I see it most, because of my part of the state, in timber production. It is a tax based on the idea of severing something from the ground. Just another way to get a few tax dollars.

LT
        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Oklahoma

I have a client that receives oil/gas royalties from Oklahoma, and they have listed on the year statement severance tax and production tax. When I complete the schedule E, I just include under taxes as a deduction. The money has been deducted from the t/p reveneue.

From investopedia - Severance Tax http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/severance-tax.asp

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 02-07-2009, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X