Loss on sale of inherited house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss on sale of inherited house

Three siblings inherited 1/3 interest in their parents home. One sibling lived in the home for two years after the inheritance, the others did not. The house had a substantial decrease in value since the date of death and has been sold at a loss. Is the loss deductible to the siblings that did not utilize the home as a residence? If so, can anyone cite a tax court case, etc.? If no court case can be found substantiating the deduction, would this be a situation requiring disclosure?
    Last edited by Zee; 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM.

I say no loss

As one sibling was living in the house the house was not being held for investment or rental purposes by the 3 partners, so no loss for anyone.
    Think of a vacation home that you and I own. If I use the place for 15 days and you use it for zero my 15 days count against you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
      As one sibling was living in the house the house was not being held for investment or rental purposes by the 3 partners, so no loss for anyone.
      Think of a vacation home that you and I own. If I use the place for 15 days and you use it for zero my 15 days count against you.
      Another CPA (whom I greatly respect) has suggested that since the house was used as a residence by only one sibling, it can be considered capital property by the other siblings and qualify as a capital loss.

I'm more conservative and would probably not suggest taking a loss, or if one is taken including a disclosure.

Comment

I agree with the "other accountant", loss for non-residents.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

A good case could be made for either side of the argument but since I represent my client's best interests I would argue for capital loss treatment for the other two siblings.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
            A good case could be made for either side of the argument but since I represent my client's best interests I would argue for capital loss treatment for the other two siblings.
            Would you attach a disclosure?

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post
              Unable to say without taking the time to research the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post

No, the facts are the facts> two siblings did not live there, did not collect rent, was not a vacation home, so it was investment property. Take the loss.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
                X