pmt received from county for care of disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pmt received from county for care of disabled

Client (age 20) lives in a separate residence from her folks and 13-yr-old sister; the 13-yo is disabled. The 13-yo spent a couple weeks at client's home; for which the client received about $2000 from the county for taking care of her. A W-2 arrived for that dollar amount (boxes 3-6 were $0; box 1 = $2000).

I thought I heard that care like this was tax free income? Is income from the county for care of a disabled person ever tax free? Does it matter if the disabled person is a close relative? Or am I just hallucinating again?

(yes, I couldn't sleep so I figured I might as well work on a few returns)

Thanks,
    Bill

All Inocme is Taxable

I have not heard nor read anything about payments for care, services, being non-taxable if they came from the federal, state, or other agency.

The state of Illinois, has paid some welfare parents to take care of their own children and send them a 1099-Misc. So they have some earned income, but owe income and self employment tax.

Now paying on a W-2 with no Fica or Medicare taxes taken out is rare. The only situation I can think of that would have this situation is that the county has elected not to be covered by SSA benefits.

Comment

why didn't the client know this going in? If she was filed out a W-4 that should have been a clue. taxea
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

My Concern

is that the taxpayer may be required to pay SE Tax on the money in addition to income tax.

Comment

what the client knew...

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          why didn't the client know this going in? If she was filed out a W-4 that should have been a clue. taxea
          Whoa... client presented the W-2 to me presuming it was taxable income. It is I who thought I heard it might not be and figured I'd bounce the thought off this board. Doesn't look like it's tax free so I can now transmit the return (I had them sign the 8879 with it included in).

Thanks everyone who chimed in.
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X