Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free forms = "Free File"

It happens every year.

A well-dressed/coiffed upper-middle class matron pulled up, got out of her Cadillac and into my office. Radiating Chanel and the self-satisfied self-confidence that frequently accompanies wealth, she (patronizingly and appropriately apologetic) began, "My daughter needs a tution and fees form for college...I've looked everywhere...that confusing IRS website ran me to 14 different places...their office is 20 miles from here...that 800 number kept me on hold forever (No kidding?)...if you could just..."

While my moma taught us to always help those you could and it just goes against the grain to NOT do it, I SWEAR today's freeloader is the last freeloader.

My wife's anaylysis: "She was a nice, frugal 'do-it-yourselfer' who made you a nice, gullible 'do-it-myselfer'. You spent ten minutes of no-charge time, printed two IRS forms/instructions, and pointed out that Google's PDF forms are much quicker/easier (now she can tell her DIY friends). She'll never spend a cent with us and her good will's worthless (she doesn't hob-nob with our clientele). Why don't you stop doing that?"

I herewith solemnly swear on the bones, pencils, and carbon-copies of my ancestors -- next time it's gonna be: "Our returns are computer-generated and we don't have forms." And...if they're brassy enough to ask if I can and will print them...I'm saying yes and no.

It Is Good to Hear from you

Welcome Back!

I hope the ice storm and bad weather weren't a huge inconvenience to you and that all is well!

Sandy

Comment

I would have referred her to the IRS office. taxea
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Google's PDF forms?

Comment

Don't have forms

I have a sign in my office that we do not stock IRS forms.

We also provide the IRS website and phone number to get the forms.

I do provide 4868's (extension forms) that I print from the IRS website and charge $1.00 for them.

I do provide 1099MISC, 1096, W-2, and W-3 forms, that I order from the IRS for DIY'ers.
          I don't use since I print all mine on software, but some clients want to do their own and that is fine with me.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Nothing is for free

I have a guy that does this every year and we are right next to the post office. So a couple years ago i started a printing fee. I told him that our office has went green and all forms for our clients are now on disk and that anyone that wants to use up our trees has to pay $2.00 a page to do so. Well he still comes in and of course pulls up in his fancy car and pays me to print him a blank 1040 and directions and a schedule A. Gotta love the stupid people on earth they keep us all employed. Bet he would be really suppried to know that 90% of my returns are printed on paper and none of may clients pay a "going green fee".

Comment

Dust Off Girl

"Dust Off" Girl? Geez TMI folks, where do we find these people?

I have a history, mostly bad, attributable to a plethora of these "dust off" girls. Mostly gorgeous ones who wouldn't give me so much as a second glance.

Seriously, welcome to the board, Dustoffgirl. We do taxes, and we do fun. You'll fit right in with this bunch. Bring us your great questions and your great stories.

Bart, good to see you posting. I saw a catastrophic weather map on TV encompassing Northern Arkansas, and we put out an APB for you.
              Last edited by Nashville; 02-06-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Sign in our front office:

"Blank tax forms are $1.00 per page. Blank stares are free."

Gets a laugh and they always pay the $1 on each page. Since the PO no longer stocks forms I feel fine helping folks with this minor convenience. For the booklets, I send them to the IRS website, since I don't stock those.
                "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Thanx Nashville/ST/Gretel/John/LT/Dany/Veritas/Jesse/BP/& others.

Originally posted by Nashville View Post

Bart, good to see you posting. I saw a catastrophic weather map on TV encompassing Northern Arkansas, and we put out an APB for you.
                  Our electricity was out for a week -- ice broke off every tree limb in sight (my beloved 50 year-old hammock-hangin' sycamore is now a large pogo stick) and we broke out the candles, lanterns, and a propane chill-chaser. I penciled out refund estimates on a yellow legal pad for days. It was kinda fun addin' and subtractin' by hand like high school again -- I was really rusty, but it comes right back to you.

We made a run to Home Depot for a shipment of 72 generators ($799 each -- $595 the day before) but 125 other desperate souls beat us there. A good samaritan loaned us one after four days, so we fired up the computers and got goin' again. Funny, I didn't hardly miss that dang garbage-laden TV a bit. In fact, I may just get religion (again--had it once at age 12).

Anyway, I missed all of you and I appreciate your concern -- it's really nice to be back. Thanks much for the well-wishes.

Your friend, BB
                  Last edited by Black Bart; 02-06-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X