Charge for 1099s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge for 1099s

I am curious as to what we should be charging for 1099s when we do a lot of them for one client. I charge $17.50 per. This past week, I got a new client that wanted me to prepare 40 and I did, $700, which is fine, but seems like I should offer some sort of cost reduction when I prepare so many more.

Do the rest of you use a sliding scale like 1-10 $XX, 11-20 $XX?? Would you share?

Thanks,

D

FWIW, I charge $10 per 1099 and $15 per 1096. This is something I do as a courtesy for my clients. I also do after-the-fact payroll, so it's easy for me to enter the information.
    Sandy >^..^<

Comment

My largest 1099 project involves importing a group of 300 or so Form 1099 contractors who received over $600 from QuickBooks to ATX. I then pitch them over to an Excel spreadsheet, filter out those which have "Inc" or "Corp" or "LLC" in the name and have the client review his W-9's to determine which are actually corporations. He then gives me the list back and I delete the corporations in order to get under the magic 250 number (we usually wind up with about 200 that actually need to be mailed).

I then run the 1099's and mail them for him. Total project price, including postage and special envelopes, is about $600. Backing out the $80 for the envelopes & Red copy A's and $ $90 for postage, the processing charge nets out to about $430. That would be about $2.00 for each one actually mailed, or about $1.40 for each one actually processed at the outset, but I don't actually enter any data since it's all electronic.

I like the extra step of deleting the corporations, because by limiting the number of 1099's filed, you also eliminate the number of mismatch letters you get 8 or 9 months down the road. But after looking at this thread, I think I'm going to talk to him about an increase. For the smaller quantities where you have to type everything in, it seems to me that $15-$20 per form should be about right.
      Last edited by JohnH; 02-04-2009, 09:05 PM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I charge $10/form with a minimum of $25. I do them with QB and data in the file already more or less complete.

Comment

tilt and John

I did have to set up each vendor's info (no easy task for that number)and am not sure if they will be recurring vendors for my client. All were mailed by me, as well.

You're doing 250 and I'm doing 40 and I'm the one charging more. Maybe, I'm the one who should rethink the pricing.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
            I charge $10/form with a minimum of $25. I do them with QB and data in the file already more or less complete.
            2 for $25 or 3 for $30?

Comment

Dennis:

No, no.
              That's OK - I like your fee schedule better.
              I'll just raise my prices.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yep, you better have 3, it's more economic.

Comment

Only a few 1099 clients

I charge $15 per F1099 and $10 per F1096. Clients that I don't do their books year round so I have to enter everything.

You all are great for sharing this information. Thank you.

I'm in the process of re-doing my price sheet and it's important to me to be reasonable and fair with people, so I really appreciate all of your posts!

Comment

Working...
                  X