Early distribution penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early distribution penalty

Taxpayer received a 1099R for $ 38000 (100%) taxable shown in box 1 and 2a) in 2008 with code 1 in box 7 and an X in box for IRA. The distribution was an immediate 5 yr annuity from a Sec 457B plan that was rollover to an IRA when the employee terminated service in Oct 2007 at age 58 and ½. The employer refused to allow the terminated employee to do the 5 yr annuity directly from within the 457 plan and would not allow the employee to leave the funds in the plan until she reached 59 and ½. The payments began in Jan 2008. Was the 1099R prepared correctly? Does exception 2 for a Sec 457 plan not apply when the funds are rolled over to an IRA under the circumstances described above? At a minimum would not the taxpayer be able to exclude the payments received after age 59 and ½ by filing Form 5329 and using a code 12 exception with the excluded amount reported on line 2 of the 5329? Is there any way to avoid the 10% penalty completely? I would appreciate input on this. Thanks in advance

i could be wrong but....

didnt this distribution lose it's 457B plan when it was rolled over into an IRA. doesn't the distribution for 2008 have to follow IRA rules? did she reach 59 1/2 in 2008? if yes there is an exception for the penalty (i think its 2)

Comment

Working...
    X