Simplified General Rule Worksheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplified General Rule Worksheet

I just finished a return for a client who used Block last year. Not included in that folder were worksheets for a pension the client starrted receiving in June 2003. I went back and did the worksheets for 2003 and 2004 since I had the necessary information. Then I was able to do the worksheet for 2005/

I have two questions:

1) Do you include the worksheets with your clients returns when they are done?

2) How much do you charge for doing these worksheets?

I don't include the worksheets. We bill by time so there isn't a specific charge.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Worksheets

Just curious, what are you putting on the worksheets that the client would need to keep?
      Bill

Comment

Worksheets

Bill: It would have been helpful to have had the previous year worksheet to figure the current year. A different preparer or the individual would need that info to do the current year worksheet.

Comment

Retirement -Simplified general rule

Yes, I include a copy of the worksheet computation in the papers given back to client.
          I try to think of what might happen if I could not continue my practice. Where would the
          client be? And yes, this is something that you have to do and it does take a few minutes to do it so it should be included in your fee.

Comment

Worksheets

I at least keep copy for myself for next year. The best case senario is if I get all the information the first year I do a client and then do the worksheet on my computer. That information carries over to next year.Taxslayer will do that. Some of the programs I had in the past did not, or at least I couldn't find that feature on them. If I get a client that has been retired for a long time and cant remember when he retired or any of the other information, I just use the deduction that the previous tax preparer used. It should be the same every year, or close to it.
            ken

Comment

I include the worksheets in the client copy. I have found that most preparers don't include the work sheets with the returns. When a new client comes in and I ask for a copy of the prior year return in order to set up the depreciation asset work sheets, etc., I find that the work sheets aren't there. This makes the client have to go back to the previous preparer to get them. Most don't want to do that!!

Comment

Work Sheets

These can be a nightmare when a new preparer does not have any info from the previous year. Block does not give them out because they want you to return as their client.
                There is no stipulation that the client has to be given the worksheet.I think this is where
                the IRS should step in.The client should be given a copy of every sheet that pertains to the tax return

West.

Comment

I don't think so

Accountant workpapers are the property of the accountant, not the client. I do not release any workpapers, worksheets, etc to the client, not even fixed asset schedules. However, if they do decide to change accountants as long as they are paid up with me I will release anything that the new accountant will need.

Matt
                  I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

I give the client a copy of anything I charge for. That includes worksheets, such as the Simplified General Rule.

Comment

Working...
                    X