employees health insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

employees health insurance

Can an S corp reimburse an employee for their medical insurance premiums if the employee is the spouse of the shareholder/employee?

It was just a thought that came to me as I was preparing quarterly reports. I have been considering her health insurance as a draw but just wondered if it could be an expense.

Linda F

Include it in her taxable income but not subject to FICA or FUTA, check your state rules for SUI. Then take the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction on the front of the 1040.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Wouldn't she have to be more than a 2% shareholder to do that? The payment of the premiums by the Corp or the reimbursement of the premiums to the shareholder has to be made in the current tax year. The more than 2% shareholder can deduct the prems attributable to a spouse or dependent if they are included in his/her W-2.
      Last edited by Burke; 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

The employee is

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Wouldn't she have to be more than a 2% shareholder to do that? The payment of the premiums by the Corp or the reimbursement of the premiums to the shareholder has to be made in the current tax year. The more than 2% shareholder can deduct the prems attributable to a spouse or dependent if they are included in his/her W-2.
        a 2% or greater owner by marriage

Comment

Ok, so I would just include the whole amount paid to BCBS for health insurance on his W-2 box 1 and then deduct it as an adjustment to income....not just the part that is his.

I'm glad that I haven't filed the 941 yet. I'm ready to do it online tonight so I will make the corrrection before I file.

Thanks for the help.

Linda

Comment

Working...
          X