Installment Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installment Sale

What should be done in order to ensure a real estate transaction to be considered an installment sale? Is a installment sale agreement signed by both the buyer and the seller sufficient?

There should be some kind of agreement as to the terms of payment and interest rate, etc, etc. It can be separate, but often included in the sale contract itself.

Comment

Its best to include all the details in the sales contract. The contract should include: date of sale, total sale amount, cash down, interest, terms of payment, ending date of payments, what happens if payments are late or not paid, foreclosure terms, etc. This contract is then used to prepare the installment form for the first year. taxea
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

For tax purposes

to have an installment sale you must receive payments in more than one year.

Comment

Yes, but the installment sale form only needs to be done the first year. taxea

Comment

The reason I posted

my answer is you can have an installment sale even if the contract did not provider for it. I have seen in the past where a sale was to occur for an agreed upon price but the seller held back funds into the next year for some kind of dispute.

So the seller ended up with an installment sale by default. We could have elected out of that tax treatment but chose not to.

Comment

Was there anything in the post that indicated that your situation was at issue? I try not to read more problems into the post than is stated. I find doing this creates posts that go so totally off subject with "what if's" that one forgets the questioned issue. taxea

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                Yes, but the installment sale form only needs to be done the first year. taxea
                The installment form is required each year any principle is received.

Comment

Davc can you give me a resource for your post? taxea

Comment

Form 6252

Form 6252 Instructions

Which Parts To Complete Year of Sale
                    Complete lines 1 through 4, Part I, and Part II. If you sold property to a related
                    party during the year, also complete Part III.

Later Years
                    Complete lines 1 through 4 and Part II for any year in which you receive a
                    payment from an installment sale. If you sold a marketable security to a
                    related party after May 14, 1980, and before January 1, 1987, complete Form
                    6252 for each year of the installment agreement, even if you did not receive a
                    payment. Complete lines 1 through 4. Complete Part II for any year in which
                    you receive a payment from the sale. Complete Part III unless you received
                    the final payment during the tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      Davc can you give me a resource for your post? taxea
                      If you did not use form 6252 in a year you received a principle payment, how would you report the principle payment?
                      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

my bad...I should have said that the details only need to be filled in the first year and the principal is the only item to fill in for subsequent years.

Comment

Working...
                        X