Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any TTB customer try asking TTB research people a question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any TTB customer try asking TTB research people a question?

Have any one of you tried contacting TTB people at the e-mail info@thetaxbook.com?

About a week ago - I sent an e-mail asking a question that wasn't answered in the Deluxe Edition TTB. I referenced the page number where the subject was shown, and was asking a simple question regarding a maximum % limit on depletion allowance for a person who has a working interest (shown on Schedule C) of an oil or gas well.

It's a good thing I didn't hold my breath waiting for a response. I wouldn't be around now if I did.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Used It Once

Sam, I used it one time, and got an answer reasonably quick. However, my question was a technical question, not a tax question. Most likely it was about how to operate the message board, i.e. my password, profile, etc. possibly even about my order or a product question. I didn't know that "info@thetaxbook.com" was advertised as a contact item for tax research.

Maybe they advertise this service is offered, I'm just not aware of it...

Comment

Agree with Snags

I have emailed the TTB people over password issues and the like and also called in on those issues or to report a grossly inappropriate post and gotten good service. If I had a tax question that I wanted to ask of TTB staff I would try to contact one of the authors in some way because I don't think that the people who have a lot of tax knowledge answer the phone or the email address under discussion. I would also consider that if I asked a tax question of an author other than on this board and received a substantive and helpful answer I would have been done a great favor to which the sale to me of the CD and book did not in any way entitle me. On the other hand, the more helpful and accommodating a company is the more its products will sell. And furthermore a quick "We don't answer tax questions - try the board or PM one of the authors." would have been more helpful than silence. Uncle Sam, I think if I were you I would try two things. See if you can PM or Private Email Brad or Bees or any of the other authors if you know their names AND if you did not get a return receipt that your original email got opened, either re send it with return receipt requested or call.
      Last edited by erchess; 01-28-2009, 04:58 AM.

Comment

I don't think this email address was anyway intended for tax questions. taxea
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Post a thread

I would post a thread and in the title box, put the name of the person you would like to answer the question. That should get their attention.
          I've seen posts like that before.

Linda

Comment

Depletion is covered on page 9-21. If you have the WebCD, the link on Depletion Allowance takes you to Pub 535. On page 33 it says:

Taxable income limit. The percentage deple-
            tion deduction generally cannot be more than
            50% (100% for oil and gas property) of your
            taxable income from the property figured without
            the depletion deduction and the domestic production
            activities deduction.
            As to answering questions that are emailed to TTB, this website under "Contact Us" says:

Source Verification

We will verify the source of specific statements presented in our publications.

Please understand that we cannot expand on coverage, or offer any advice about a particular tax situation.
            Even when you do get a response to your email, if it is not answered in TTB, you will be referred to this message board to get your answer.

What is your question?

Comment

TTB Research Assistance

Perhaps I didn't explain the facts fully.
              I originally called the 866-919-5277 number to ask a question and was told by the person answering that I'm better off e-mailing the question to the e-mail address. So that's what I did.
              The question was "what is the maximum depletion allowance % for a working interest in a oil or gas well"? THAT is NOT mentioned on P. 9-21.

It turns out - it's 15%. I got the answer from another source.

Thanks TTB - I'll take this into consideration when you send me advertising for next year's renewal.

Comment

Send me a private message

...if you find a similar publication next year in the same price range which offers complimentary "over and beyond" advice from their tax authorities. I understand that you are giving TTB an "F" for their lack of response, even though they have published that they don't do this.

With my NATP dues, I get one free question annually. This is about as complimentary as anything I've encountered out there. I think there are alternatives which will furnish you advice for a price, and even the IRS will charge for a private letter ruling...

If it sounds like I'm blindly loyal to TMI, I will plead guilty to this. My experience with them has been different, and it might have something to do with what I expect.

I've had my say and am going to let it rest. You are well-known and respected among EAs, and also for your knowledge you've brought to the message board. Shouldn't be a forum for insults and I would hate to see this continue.

Comment

Snag - I think your point is correct. I hate to see anyone get upset about a thing such as this. I had never thought that TTB had a tax research service, except for the forum. When I need research, I go to a research service, which by the way charges a fee.

I, in no way intend this as pointing fingers or criticizing anyone, I just wonder if maybe there is a misunderstanding as to what is offered or maybe a misunderstanding in terminology terms.

LT
                  Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Customer Service

I guess I was mistaken.

I was under the impression that as long as you are a customer of TMI - by buying any of their products - you'd be entitled to "tech support" like the big tax software companies have. I'll know for next time. Customers who call their phone number should be told that it doesn't provide tax research service.

I did finally get a follow up e-mail from Paul Roberts today.

Comment

Working...
                    X