Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling inventory to a scrap yard

How do I handle this?

Client has a lawnmower repair service. He purchased inventory several years ago from a repairman who was going out of business.

He had approx. $10,000 inventory in old used parts sitting in his garage. He of course used some every year for the past 5+ years and added to it with new parts.

He has an accurate $$ accounting of each and every part because that is way he purchased the other business so he knows each year exactly what he has in his cost basis inventory.

In 2008 he decided to clean out some old inventory and get rid of it as it was to old and he knew he would never need these parts to repair any mowers. He took $ 5652 cost basis of old lawnmower parts inventory and sold it to the scrap yard for $ 3100.

How do I handle this?
    I say I show the 5600 as ( negative 5600) in the "other costs" to remove it from inventory and then do the sale as a sale of business property form 4797 showing his loss.
    Do you agree?

I don't feel I can do it as COGS and the 3100 as sold when he is in the lawnmower repair business … not the junk/scrap dealer business.

I cannot believe my brain is gone before January is over !!!!!! *sigh* It's going to be a lonnnnggggggg season. LOL

Thanks in advance for your expert brain functions
    "And So It Begins!!!"

Why not?

Where does it say you have to sell it at a profit for it to be in COGS? I'd just do the COGS and be done with it.

Bill

Comment

I would just show it in sales and reduce my ending inventory, forcing it into COS.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

brushing away the cob webs

Originally posted by Bill Tubbs View Post
        Where does it say you have to sell it at a profit for it to be in COGS? I'd just do the COGS and be done with it.

Bill
        Oh I see how you are thinking .... I wasn't thinking that ....
        I am thinking because he is NOT in the business to sell parts ... he is in the business to repair lawnmowers ... I wasn't thinking that he could actually sell the parts to people ... I was only thinking that he had materials sitting there for him to use in his business......

but looking at it your way ... I guess maybe he could be selling parts as well as repairing lawnmowers ... in which case he could use it for COGS.... and the amount received as sales....

See .... that is why I wanted everyone's two cents worth .... to help get the cob webs out of my brain .....
        Thanks for your input ......
        "And So It Begins!!!"

Comment

Working...
        X