Multiple 1099's to same vendor from same company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple 1099's to same vendor from same company

I have a client that switched from an employee leasing company to a standard payroll company in the middle of February in 2008. The payroll company has been paying the independant contractors, like myself, since then and has created 1099's. They have not, nor will they, electronically file the 1099's or 1096 forms. Thus, I have a set of 1099 forms for the last 8 months of the year, and need to create 1099's for the first two months. Can I file two sets of 1099's from the same company for the same year to the same vendors, or should I redo the already created 1099's to include all comp for the year? Thanks!
    "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
    Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Either, assuming it is the same EIN. If you do a new set for the whole year, make sure you mark CORRECTED on each one and highlight it. If you do another set for the 2 months, I would include a letter to each vendor making sure they report both.
    Last edited by Burke; 01-26-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Corrected 1099

I would opt for the "Corrected" 1099 and just issue a single 1099 with an unambiguous single dollar amount.

The chances of improper reporting for the both the payer and the payee are greatly reduced.

Comment

I agree with that, and it is my preferred method. As noted however, I take care to make sure both the vendor AND the IRS sees the "corrected" box on their respective copies when using paper returns.

Comment

Luckily I caught

the set of 1099's produced by the payroll company before they went out, and they have not yet been reported to the IRS or state. I suppose, then I just do a new set of originals, combind those that need it, and file the copies I make as the originals. Thanks all!!
          "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
          Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Working...
          X