Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-standard W-2 Forms

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    The chances of being fined for non-perforated employee W-2s are even more remote than filing black and white "A" copies. I'm a worry-wart as much as anybody else, but have scissored regular copy paper many, many times and it went okay.

You know, this is one reasons lawyers and sloppy preparers have the edge on us in many different areas -- they realize the odds of being fined are remote and don't give such trivia a thought, while we agonize over minute details. I've been hackin' at this stuff since the late sixties and have yet to see a W-2 returned for using sub-standard forms. Too, I've seen some of the worst fifth-grader level hand-scrawled W-2s and 1099's sent in (plus lots of illegible -- very lightly printed -- W-2s) and nothing I know of was ever sent back.

Tell you what, I'm gonna post a poll and try to get a sense of everyone's experience with this.
    This poll is about whether we tax preparers have had problems SSA or IRS for (1) Using laser-printed black and white W-2 forms instead of a red "A" copy and (2) Using non-perforated employee copies. Have you ever been fined or had anything sent back?

It's multiple-choice; check all items that apply and post any experiences the poll doesn't cover..
    I HAVE been FINED for black and white W-2s.
    0.98%
    I HAVE NOT been FINED for black and white W-2s.
    18.63%
    I HAVE had black and white W-2s REJECTED.
    0.00%
    I HAVE NOT had black and white W-2s REJECTED.
    19.61%
    I HAVE been FINED for non-perforated W-2s.
    0.98%
    I HAVE NOT been FINED for non-perforated W-2s.
    16.67%
    I HAVE had non-perforated W-2s REJECTED..
    0.98%
    I HAVE NOT had non-perforated W-2s REJECTED.
    16.67%
    I have had some problems with SSA/IRS about using sub-standard W-2 forms.
    0.00%
    I have NEVER had any problems at all with SSA/IRS about using sub-standard W-2 forms.
    25.49%
    Last edited by Black Bart; 01-21-2009, 07:47 AM.

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    This poll is about whether we tax preparers have had problems SSA or IRS for (1) Using laser-printed black and white W-2 forms instead of a red "A" copy and (2) Using non-perforated employee copies. Have you ever been fined or had anything sent back?

It's multiple-choice; check all items that apply and post any experiences the poll doesn't cover..
    No problems, in fact the SSA does not require red forms for W-2's, the software company I use does not require them either. As for perforated, I buy them every year with the EIC message on the back, but the software company also allows you to print this message separately if you are using regular paper. Many W-2's that come into my office are on plain paper that I have to cut (oh no). I just think it is tacky.

However, the IRS does require red forms for the 1099's that are sent to them. I buy perforated forms for them also for the recipients copy.

Did I miss the poll?
    Oops. Just read the other thread about W-2's - it was all covered.
    Last edited by JG EA; 01-21-2009, 01:46 AM.
    JG

Comment

Red scannable forms

I usually e-file W-2s to avoid printing so many forms. I always e-file 1099s since those red scannable forms are the invention of the devil and are hard to align with the printer to produce good copies.

Sometimes, however, I print the W-2s, especially if an employer only has one or two employees, but file the black and white laser generated form with the SSA.

Comment

"I HAVE had non-perforated W-2s REJECTED." makes no sense. The W-2s sent to SSA aren't supposed to be perforated.

Comment

I think Bart's intention here was to ask if any employee copies (B, C, & 2) had ever caused a problem because they were on plain unperforated paper. I think in most cases the preparer would just get out the scissors, but I'm guessing it's possible that some disgruntled employee somewhere has tried to cause trouble if they found out their W-2 didn't conform to the requirements. There are some people who like to find out that they think they have you over a barrell - they will respond by pushing things just as far as they can to cause you trouble.
          Last edited by JohnH; 01-21-2009, 02:11 PM.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Black

I've always printed W-2s/W-3s on white paper, perforated uni-paper for the recipient. Same for 1099s for all but the IRS copy of 1099s/1096s. Sometimes I buy a kit. Most times I get the free ones from the IRS, tear off the red covers, and try to line up the covers in my printer. I only try a time or two, though, and then just let them print as close as I got without wasting gobs of time. This year I bought the QB paper and envelopes for the first time. I might get around to e-filing some day. That's my goal, but I always wait until the last minute so stick with what I know.

Comment

E-filing wastes electrons - that's why I don't do it.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I thnk there is something magical about a printed form. When you just copy it the SSA can tell. Don't try to get away with it.
                JG

Comment

Rejected

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  I think Bart's intention here was to ask if any employee copies (B, C, & 2) had ever caused a problem because they were on plain unperforated paper. I think in most cases the preparer would just get out the scissors, but I'm guessing it's possible that some disgruntled employee somewhere has tried to cause trouble if they found out their W-2 didn't conform to the requirements. There are some people who like to find out that they think they have you over a barrell - they will respond by pushing things just as far as they can to cause you trouble.
                  Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

Congratulations on your environmentally-friendly, low-electron-consuming, "green" computer. Please continue to separate your trash.

I buy perforated paper because it's more convenient to use and looks neater -- actually only use plain paper if I'm out of perforated. Still, I scissor it because many preparers don't like getting those whole pages and having to do it themselves. Too, even though IRS/SSA doesn't enforce their "perforated paper" rule, we like to feel we're in compliance.

Like taxxcpa and Lion, I have trouble lining up 1099s, but the black and white laser-printed computer-generated W-2s/W-3s that eliminate alignment are really nice. I appreciate them since I and (and maybe you) used to spend many hours adjusting and printing those "invention of the devil" preprinted original red "A" forms.

JG's joke that "SSA can tell" reminded me about IRS' classifying hand-written W-2s as "non-standard;" assuming (I guess) they're bogus. But get a blank, buy a W-2 program, computer print it -- suddenly it's perfectly alright (looks just like ours). Hmm, sounds like "pencil-profiling" poor folks -- think I'll ask Erchess if he'll sponsor a class-action suit against this unjust discrimination.
                  Last edited by Black Bart; 01-22-2009, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Well, anyway

I guess that kind of settles it about the risk involved in laser-printed and non-perf W-2s. Only 24 participating, but 23 "no problems" votes is a good enough ratio for me.

Wonder what the circumstances were for that one vote on non-perf paper problems?

Comment

I use regular paper and cut them with my paper cutter that I have used for about 20 years
                      Before that, I typed all the W-2's with the carbon paper packs. When an error was made I had to used the eraser on each of the copy. Sometimes that would put a hole in it and I would have to void the W-2 and start over. You had to send the voids in, I typed 100's of these each year for years. This is my 36th tax season. I just love computers and good tax software.

Comment

Dear fellow "old-timer."

Originally posted by wv112 View Post
                        I use regular paper and cut them with my paper cutter that I have used for about 20 years

Before that, I typed all the W-2's with the carbon paper packs. When an error was made I had to used the eraser on each of the copy. Sometimes that would put a hole in it and I would have to void the W-2 and start over. You had to send the voids in, I typed 100's of these each year for years. This is my 36th tax season. I just love computers and good tax software.
                        Thanks for your observation. My "typing/erasing" experience mirrors yours exactly and I'm also wallowing in the luxury of no-alignment W-2s (great, eh?).

Have you ever noticed though, that just about the time a process is perfected to the extent that it's easily done by paper, it begins phasing out? Take SSA's online W-2 filing; it's surely easier/cheaper. Still...there's just something about handling the paper that I like -- enjoy, you could say -- as opposed to casting it to the electronic winds. Too, having control of your own work is preferable to the hands/whims of unknowing clerks and down computers. Online things work fine 95% of the time, but when they don't, it can be a 100% nightmare of numbing hold-time and staggering bureaucratic ineptitude.

The handwriting's on the wall and we must go to it (maybe sooner than later), but since they're humoring us for the moment, why not indulge and do it "my way"?

Cheers & best regards, BB

Comment

Bart - I'm also curious about the nonperf being rejected. Maybe the client sent them back?

Thank you very much for posting this poll. I think I'll just keep using the paper cutter on the QB generated W2s and consider buying the perf paper for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                            Bart - I'm also curious about the nonperf being rejected. Maybe the client sent them back?
                            Must be. Like Davc said, they don't go in to SSA and I can't possibly imagine an IRS return-processor taking note of such a thing.

Thank you very much for posting this poll. I think I'll just keep using the paper cutter on the QB generated W2s and consider buying the perf paper for next year.
                            You're quite welcome. And (as a fellow devil-may-care type) I shall continue to scissor plain paper when I'm outta perf -- thus undercutting the very foundations of our tax system.

Regards, BB

Comment

Working...
                            X