Educator Expense.....Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educator Expense.....Revisited

If a full time teacher incurred $1000 in educator expenses; I know the $250 is above the line deduction for 2005. Can the remaining $750 then be allocated to charitable contributions because schools are considered "not for profit organizations"?

If not, would it make a difference if the teacher taught at a religious based school, say a Catholic School?

HMMMM.....
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Educator Expense

I would say that the only way to consider it a charitable donation would be if the teacher donated the $750.00 worth of supplies back to the school for all to use and not just for him/her.
    Bill

Comment

Agree

it has to be for the general use.

But if school gives teacher a statement that supplies were donated to school and not just to his class room it would be sufficient, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriele
        it has to be for the general use.

But if school gives teacher a statement that supplies were donated to school and not just to his class room it would be sufficient, right?
        That ploy has been used successfully, and in the past NCPE has advocated that approach. I think it's a bit aggressive, if the supplies were actually used in the teacher's classroom & were not readily available to all. 2106 in that case.

Comment

Education expenses

During the 30 years that I was in public education, I always used 2106 for such expenses. In either setting I dont see how you would call that a charitable contribution.

Comment

Working...
          X