Red Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Gear

is a serviceoffered by TaxWorks Institute that allows you to search all of your tax questions online for $30.00 a year. The company is based in Kaysville, UT 84037. Last year's price was $199. Do you know anything about this company.
    It sounds too good to be true. I just received an email from them.

Looks like HRB is involved somehow:

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

RedGear is the parent company

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      is a serviceoffered by TaxWorks Institute that allows you to search all of your tax questions online for $30.00 a year. The company is based in Kaysville, UT 84037. Last year's price was $199. Do you know anything about this company.
      It sounds too good to be true. I just received an email from them.
      of TaxWorks and ArkWorks. It appears that the TaxWorks Institute is nothing more than a searchable database. $30.00 a year does not seem spectacular. They will research for you for a fee.

The entire operation is owned by HRB.

Comment

What I found out

Background - I tried the CFS tax research database and never learned to use it so at the end of last season I got Kleinrock Total Tax Office and I got two valuable things CFS did not offer For one thing, CFS had nothing about States and with Kleinrock I have information for all the States. Second, Kleinrock holds my hand a lot. The Salesperson has walked me through all the features and when I email in a specific question about searching for something I get a well thought out answer within 24 hours. CFS just told me to look at their online videos which I can't conveniently do because my internet connection is slow even for dialup.

On the other hand this price of $30 seemed like a great deal so I went online and looked into it. I also called the sales team and talked to a very nice fellow.

The research product is actually not done by Red Gear. They are reselling at their cost a service that is available from several software vendors and the company itself but at higher prices. The one thing he told me that I didn't believe is that he had forgotten who the outside vendor is. I would have had more respect for an honest refusal to tell me.

The research database is entirely made up of secondary sources but the articles cite actual authorities. If you can't find an answer yourself or just don't want to you can get what they consider a simple answer for $35 or if they consider the matter complex or you insist on citations then they will tell you in advance approximately how long it will take and charge you $75 per hour. That strikes me as a deal and I am going to get it, not as a replacement for but as a supplement to Kleinrock.
        Last edited by erchess; 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X