Paid Preparer Signature - Form 941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Preparer Signature - Form 941

Maybe this was discussed and I simply missed it, or maybe it's so basic that I'm showing how clueless I really am.

I notice that the "Paid Preparer" section of form 941 & 944 is no longer optional - it is required to be signed. Since this info is in the 2009 Pub 15, does that mean that it doesn't apply to the 4Q2008 form 941, or does the requirement go into effect immediately on Jan 1, 2009 for any 941/944 filed for any prior period?
    Last edited by JohnH; 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

941 signature

We have to sign the 941s for the fourth quarter of '08. We did not have to for the third quarter. Look at part five of a 4th quarter form and you'll see that the word "optional" has been deleted. Google "941 instructions" (first page) for the 4th quarter and it explicitly says signature is required. Revision date was October '08.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Guess I should look at the pre-printed form or instructions every now & then.

I use ATX Zillion Forms to prepare the 941's, and they haven't yet updated the form for the 4th quarter (as far as I can tell). Fortunately I only have two 941's for the 4th Quarter that have already been mailed, so maybe it won't be too much of a problem. Although now I'm wondering if I should amend those two 941's just to add my signature.

Does this new signature requirement also apply to the 940 for the 2008 year?
      Last edited by JohnH; 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post

...I only have two 941's for the 4th Quarter that have already been mailed...now I'm wondering if I should amend those two 941's just to add my signature.
        Don't think I'd bother -- IRS doesn't know if your client paid a preparer or not unless you tell on yourself. Worst case, they send it back for a signature like an unsigned tax return.

Does this new signature requirement also apply to the 940 for the 2008 year?
        Yes.

P.S. I can handle this kind of question -- for the deeper matters please contact our mutual colleague "His Esteemed Effervescence Whose Toejam is the Toothpaste of the Unenlightened" (AKA Bees Knees).

Comment

I sabotaged myself on the "Paid Preparer" section. ATX automatically prints the firm info & ID numbers, so I'm already on record but without the signature.

I managed to recall one of the 941's from the client and both 940's, so it looks like the problem is limited to a single report. I may file a 941x just to go through the exercise, but I have until Feb 10 to decide.

Comment

Your plea

for mercy if/when IRS calls your attention to lack of signature should not fall on deaf ears,
            given your excellent and longstanding (?) good reputation.

Happy NEW YEAR!
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

H-m-m, I'll need to think about that one, Harlan. As much as I appreciate your kind words, let's keep in mind that everyone has a skeleton or two they'd like to keep in the closet. If a penalty abatement request is needed, maybe I can enlist you to write the letter & vouch for me...?

Happy New Year

Comment

signature

I have one question/comment in this area. The instructions for the 941 state that the paid preparer must sign with a manual signature. This is creating quite a burden in our office that the owner must sign every form by hand, when nearly all other forms can be signed by the optional methods of rubber stamp, computer program or other mechanical device.
                Has anyone seen anything that might give us relief on this? This new rule covers 940s also, so we have somewhere around 200 forms that must be rerouted across another desk.
                I have been reading everything I could get my hands on as it was released by the IRS or other publishers. I found where that the 2004 rules would carry over to the income tax forms for signatures, but no information on the employment tax forms.
                thanks for your help. I have been reading the forum for a year now. Use TTB all the time.
                AJ, EA

Comment

Signing 941

Based on recent seminars, signing the 941 as the preparer makes us subject to penalties.

What penalties?

If we know that the taxpayer is paying some as "Contract Labor" instead of employees?
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

However.....

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                    Based on recent seminars, signing the 941 as the preparer makes us subject to penalties.

What penalties?

If we know that the taxpayer is paying some as "Contract Labor" instead of employees?
                    Not signing also makes us subject to penalties.

As for classification of employees, it doesn't follow that we will now become liable for all classifications or misclassifications of independent contractors. Not my job, nor will it be.

Happy New Year, y'all. Now then, tax season begins bright and early tomorrow!
                    GET TO WORK!
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                    X