Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charges for time spent reading and signing forms

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
    ...probably already has them sign off on 47 pages of printouts with 12 signatures (exagerated numbers - I hope)....

People basically give away their signature without second thought nowadays and never read what they're signing. I'm not sure they ever did.
    Suppose that you're a tax preparer who gets paid by the tax form, and not by the time spent with the client. Do you really want to sit around for an hour or two while a client who has difficulty understanding IRS tax forms reads and decides to sign off at 12 or more spots during 47 pages of complex language?

Comment

I have a question about this Disclosure Form.

I understand that people must sign the Disclosure Form, before the tax return is signed by them. The Disclosure Form must include who the tax return is being disclosed to.

What happens if at the time of filing their return, they don't need it disclosed to anyone. Then in June they call in, they are in a panic (aren't they always) they need you to fax a copy of their return to their Mortage Company. They did not sign a disclosure form, with the mortgage compnay listed.

My understanding of what I have read:: We can not fax the return, even if they sign a release at this time.

What do you think?

Comment

3rd Parties

I dislike having to provide mortgage bankers, loan agents, etc with any of the t/p information. I have the t/p sign a special statement directing to which loan broker or loan servicing agent outlining all of the details, such as name, address, phone, email, fax, etc. before I release and keep that in file.

Otherwise my conclusion is that I furnished the taxpayer with a copy of their return and they can provide that copy to whomever they want to. No agency should need any statement or copies of returns from me without the taxpayer's release.

If there is another request for another specified agency, then the t/p signs that release as well.

Sandy

Comment

chears is correct...

I don't have my clients sign consents because I don't provide their information to third parties. Actually I won't even confirm or deny who my clients are to anyone. This is confidentiality.

If I receive a request from a third party for info my response is:
          I cannot confirm or deny that this person is my client however, whether or not he/she is, you would need to provide me with a consent to disclose before I would be able to discuss or provide anything to you.

If it is my client asking me to provide a copy of the return or other information to a third party, my response is:

You have been provided with a copy of the return my our office. An additional copy will be provided for a fee to you. If you want the copy to be provided to a third party they will have to provide me with a consent to disclose form signed by you and a check to cover my copy fee.

I will also caution the client not to sign any copy that they provide to the third party. taxea
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            I will also caution the client not to sign any copy that they provide to the third party. taxea
            I am curious why you do this in case I should be cautioning clients also.
            JG

Comment

JG EA...I advise the client not to sign any copies they give out because their return was e-filed. This means that they did not physically sign the original, nor did I. It was done via the use of PIN numbers. The second reason is because the "copy" is not the original (which went to the IRS). I stamp "client copy" over the signature area of the copy I provide to the client.

The reason why I caution the client is because I have found that several colleges "require" a signed copy of the return. If the scholarship office gives the client any guff about this I ask the client to give the college my number and I will explain to them why the copy will not be signed. taxea
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X