Looking for new printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for new printers

For my tax office, I need to replace two printers.

I currently have an HP Laserjet 1300 and an HP Laserjet 4 Plus.

Both have been extremely reliable and I want to stay with HP.

I need one large heavy volume laser printer. To print organizers, proformas, tax returns and all the reports for my monthly bookkeeping clients.

I need another one that is capable of printing color, for letterheads, and year-end letters. It should also be capable of using those small disks that my spouse has in her digital cameras. She needs to be able to download photos and be able to print and/or send them over the internet.

Suggestions? I have budgeted $1,500 for both purchases. Is this reasonable? I can go has high as $2,000 and want to purchase, for tax purposes, by 12/31.
    Jiggers, EA

Hp

I have 2 HP's one is a P2015 just single sided B&W printer works great, however they don't make that model anymore. The other is a HP 2727 multi function B&W only, this one will print on two sides automatically and will even staple copies together. I have not tried stapling, it takes a add-on part that I didn't buy. Both of these print at a rate of about 30ppm and cost about $300 & $400 repectively. One of the things I like about these is they both take the same cartridge, $165 for 6000 pages. It sounds like it has been a while since you have bought a new printer, you'll be amazed how prices have down. I would go to HP's website to see what's available. I hope this helps.

Comment

If you have a particular heavy volume printer that you like, you might want to check ebay to see if there are any like it for sale. For example, I have a preference for LaserJet 1100 printers for basic black printing. They are reasonably fast and the print cartridges hold lots of toner, so operating expenses are lower than for later version printers. I find one of these printers on ebay for about $40-$50 every now & then, and at that price I can afford to keep a spare printer or two on hand. You might find it easy to just buy one or more LJ1300's and/or LJ4's if you want to stay with them for your workhorse printers.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Hp

I too like HP printers. The prices have dropped enormously. Lots of sales at places like Staples. And as has been mentioned, go to the HP web site for specials. I had (still do; it's with my hubby's computer now) an old 4L. Bought a 2550n for color when I went out on my own. Now shopping for black only but fast. Have seen speeds up to 35 ppm. For the memory card slots, you might have to go to an all in one or to a printer that specializes in photos; but see what's on their web site that meets your needs. And, then shop around for the best price. I think you'll find both printers, new, in your budget. Otherwise, try Craigslist and eBay and local ads; after all, businesses are downsizing.

Comment

Printer

HI All:

HP Laserjet 2200d (Black & White Double Sided) About $350.00, HP Colar Lasejet 2600n (Color) about $280.00, Great printers many copies.

K

Comment

Although I have one small brother printer, purchased because of low price, in the office, the other is an HP. I recommend you go with HP.

Besides doing a good job, when you buy a replacement cartridge, it also includes the drum. And the price is usually not much higher than a cartridge for the others. After a few toner cartridges, with the other brands, you must buy a new drum. And you will be shocked at the price of the drums. With some of the companies, it is sort of like the companies that give you the razor free so that you will buy the blades.

LT
            Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

A couple of months ago I bought HP CP1215 at Office Max for $199. It was on sale and I wanted to use it for photo printing and maybe some business usages now and then. I have an HP 8000 that I use for high volumn printing. It is at least 10 years old but it serves me well. Probably can't find them any more. It was a Referb for $1,999 back then.

The reason I maintain this printer (HP8000) is the cost per page (toner) is very small. I buy toner cartridges for $90 and I can get by for all tax returns (550) on one cartridge. The printer is very big, so check the dimensions and weight.

Here is a search I just did on the HP 8000. The low prices do not include some attachments like a toner cartridge, printer cable, and others. Buy the way, it is expensive to repair.

Items 1 - 97 of 250. Save money on Printers like the Brother P-Touch - TZe251 Label Tape, 1", Black on White - Labelmakers.

Here is another one hp 2015. Read the reviews....good price. But 250 sheet tray..???

As tech and quality changes monthly it is hard to lock in what is now available and good for our purposes.

I also have an HP1100 (slow) and two HP1300 (reasonably fast). They are workhorses but very old>>still running though. The HP1100 has scanning, copying and print capability and is a Laser Jet, not an inkjet. You need to buy the attachment for scanning and copying capability.

Where you buy your toner can be a cost saving for some of those toner eater printers. Generally the lower the price of the Laser Jet the more toner it uses per page.

As I recall, the Laser Jet 4 was a solid printer but was very slow... Tax Font Cartridge? or was that for the LJ2.
              Last edited by BOB W; 12-20-2008, 03:38 PM.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I've got the P2015 HP that prints on both sides. Very good printer. I have to admit though I still use the HP Laserjet 4 to print out the bulk of my tax returns I prepare. I can do all on one cartiage that cost around $60 I believe. I also use it for payroll checks for customers. So I can get the MICR ink really cheap for it. I got two at Goodwill years back. I think I paid $10 or $20 for them. I had to replace the rollers in them and one had a bad fuser. Both parts I purchased on Ebay for very cheap.

The LJ 4 is slow... very slow compared to what is out there now. But I really don't mind. While the tax return is printing I just move on to the next persons return. I use the 2015 for payroll forms mainly and for quick printing.

Comment

My HP with extra paper trays holds 5 reams of paper. You may have to raise your budget over 1500. HP has reconditioned printers and their sales staff is very helpful. Good warranties also.

I am not a spokesman for Amazon.com but I have used it almost exclusively for over a year now because there are so many products with free shipping if you spend over $25. I also find their return policy excellent. taxea
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X