Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Linda

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    I am in Polk County. I worked for a storefront business for 15 years and have had my own business for 7 years now. I LOVE being on my own. Of course, I have a smaller business than the number of returns I did after 15 years at the other place. But it is okay. I get referrals every year....got 26 referrals from my clients last tax season. For the size of my business that is great.
    Study and take the EA exam. It will open new worlds to you. I see you are in Pinellas county. There are some great EA's in that area. You might eventually get a job working for one of them and then you would have access to those more complex returns.
    I love reading this board, answering sometimes and asking frequently. Sometimes I feel like I know the answer but am a little shy about answering. But the knowledge here is outstanding. You will gain a wealth of knowledge here. The great thing is that you can read it anytime. So you are busy during tax season and can't post much now, but during the summer or slower times, you can catch up on what you missed.

Enjoy the board and welcome.

Linda
    Hi neighbor! That is great to hear about your business, and I hope it prospers in the coming years.

I don't think I'll be taking the EA exam. I had no plans to prepare taxes this year, but here I am. I love taxes, but I really don't want to prepare taxes after this season for other people, just for a few friends and myself. I will always keep up on everything though, and learn as much as I can.
    If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      Welcome aboard Tim. I lived in FL for a number of years. Collier and Charlotte counties. I loved to go fishing in the gulf and went deep sea at least once a month, funds permitting. I remember alligators as being rather cranky and quite tasty. We had Egrets, Herons and Eagles in our back yard which bordered a deep water canel, home to lots of sealife. Fresh fish and lots of citrus. I work in a small independent office and prepare individual, small business, trust and estate income tax returns. This board is a great resource that has helped me out many times.
      Thanks Dave. Fishing in the Gulf is great, though I rarely did that lol. I always went after the largemouths in the lakes and ponds. Gators are still cranky, but I love them. I'm either stupid enough or crazy enough, or both, to get as close as I can to them. And yep, very tasty, though they can be a little chewy. It is great seeing wildlife in your backyard...and the citrus, there is nothing better! Did you ever see manatees?

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the board as the season cranks up.
      If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
        As a former Pittsburgher, tattooed freak geek (but not a computer geek; I have roommates for that) I say welcome aboard!
        Thanks!

Lets go Stillers! You say yinz, I say y'all lol.

What ink do you have, and how many? Not including my Steelers tattoo with the 5 trophies, soon to be 6 trophies, I have 5 other tattoos.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
          You mentioned using Drake, they also have a tax forum. I check out Drakes, and The Tax Book forums EVERY DAY. I don't respond much, but LEARN ALOT. If you need an answer, that you can not find with your own research, Post them on a forum, you get fast answers, and a lot of opinions, and some fun here and there.

Jan
          This is my first year using Drake, and I love the software. I know they have their forum, but I cannot access it. I did go through their tax training courses and their practice problems and earned 8 CPE credits, but I don't know how that will help me.

Thanks Jan!

Comment

Call technical support, they will get you up and running. It helps alot using the Drake program, plus other things

Jan

Comment

Welcome aboard Tim,

I know you'll come to rely on this board for answers to most of your questions. I know I do. As you are on your way in, you will find lots of help from everyone. As far as "complicated' returns go, you won't have to ask for them -- they'll just happen to fall in your lap from referrals. Treat your clients with respect and they will help fill your vacant time slots with referrals of their friends. One of the things I remember is making errors because I was too rushed. Not too many now, but even 1 is too many!! Hope things go well for you.
              Larry

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Larry. I love the complicated returns, for some strange reason. Maybe because I get to use my brain.

Thanks y'all again.

Y'all really know your taxes. I'm very confident in my own abilities as a tax pro, but I can learn a lot from this board.

I run a tax blog, at http://www.downpaymentblues.net/taxguide/

If you have tax articles that you want to write and publish, I have it set already. Anything tax related can be published, with your full information. This is a great way to build your business. If you have a website, link back.

PM for username and login

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim, only have three; two celtic armbands and a 'the' as part of an art/publishing effort called 'The story project'. I've had a lower back piece plannned for the last 8 years but can't seem to get it from my head onto skin!

God, I just got through explaining 'yinz' and other Pittsburghese to my coworkers; one is from Cleveland and did not believe yinz was a word.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                    Hi Tim, only have three; two celtic armbands and a 'the' as part of an art/publishing effort called 'The story project'. I've had a lower back piece plannned for the last 8 years but can't seem to get it from my head onto skin!

God, I just got through explaining 'yinz' and other Pittsburghese to my coworkers; one is from Cleveland and did not believe yinz was a word.
                    Very cool! My other ones, all on my left arm, are the Angus Young cartoon devil, a #3, Dale Earnhardt's sig below that, my astrological symbol, and an old school American eagle and flag.

Now for the irony...I was born in Warren, Ohio, about right in the middle of Pittsburgh and Cleveland. My dad was a die hard Browns fan, and hated the fact I became a Stillers fan. I watch the games with a bunch of people from the 'Burgh and surrounding areas and I have picked up a little lingo.

Comment

Working...
                    X